Outdated hinges

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa46100

Reaction score
My kitchen cabinets were built years ago and are still in great condition. I love the look, but I am getting ready to have stain glass put in some of the doors. I also want new hardware but am running into trouble. The hinges on them are screwed on the outside of the cabinet on both sides. The only ones I found that do that are ones like I have but not in chrome or square ones that doesn't have the look I want. There are over 40 needed. I also can not find door pulls with the 3 3/8 inch hole to hole but I did find a 3 1/2 inch hole to hole with an inch on both sides that will hide the wood fill hole.

I tried spraying the hinge with stainless steel paint but it has a flat ugly look. Is there anyway to have these hinges coated with chrome?

If the hinges are decent metal, you can get them chromed. Try a local car/hot rod shop or weld shop for a recommendation where to take them.

A picture of what you're up against would be helpful, but barring that...I've got some ideas on what you can do.

You could have the hinges chromed, but I'm guessing it would be more expensive than buying new hinges.

On the pulls, you might be able to get away with 3 1/2" pulls if the base of the pull covers the elongated hole. You'd just need to elongate the holes (more like an oval) and then mount the hardware. But, if you look around, you should be able to find the right size eventually.

Here are a couple of resources I've used in the past...

VanDykes

Rejuvenation

I found a photo of what the hinge looks like that I want to replace. I tried both of the sites you told me about but they didn't have a replacement.

I was mistaken about the cabinet door pull. I found a 3 inch one with enough on the end to hide the wood filled hole

thmb_a03404ac.jpg

6125-BN-F.jpg

Back