How to change a light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just want to open by saying im not a electrician but I think I know enough where I would electrocute myself :rolleyes: joking aside though I need some help.

We have this old crappy looking chandelier hanging that the wife has been on my case about taking down and putting up something that she wants which I dont care because it is ugly but I want to know is taking a old fixture down to put up a new one pretty easy to do? I know I shut the power off but as far as wiring what will I expect to see

A positive/Negative wire?
Wire that runs to the switch?

Any help would be great.

Also the chandelier has a dimmer switch so what can I expect to see there also?

Again guys thanks for taking the time to answer questions for me.

Jeremy

Well, there is no such thing as positive and negative in AC wiring.

There is no way to tell what you will see. You have to take the light down and check. More than likely you will just wire the new one just like the old.

You could see anything from two wires and up.
There will only be two wires connected to the fixture + maybe a ground.

Only disconnect the two wires connected to the fixture. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE. Do NOT attempt to FIX anything that looks wrong like a white wire connected to a bunch of blacks. Or at least come here first and ask.
Connect your new fixture to the same two wires as the old one. It is possible that one of your wire will be connected to a bunch of other wires. That is OK and will be the white (neutral) wires.

Just a follow up to this question. The fixture that I want to remove is a old hanging style one ( Ugly ) and want to put a simple one in. I think I can handle change the fixture it self but the old one was hooked up to a dimmer switch. I assume I will have to remove the dimmer switch and replace it back to a standard switch. Would you guys have a tutorial or video on how to do this?

Thanks

Why would you think yo need to remove the dimmer just due to the style of fixture?

You only have to change the dimmer if you change to flourescent lighting.

I didnt know if I had to that's why I asked, I plan on keeping the incandescent bulbs so am glad to see that I can just keep the dimmer.

"I plan on keeping the incandescent bulbs."

do you realize that you could be risking a jail term for that? :eek:

i couldn't help it! :rolleyes:

Also if you were to put a ceiling fan in you would also have to remove the dimmer and place it with a switch

Jeremy, replacing the light fixture is NOT rocket science if you are relatively handy and can read instructions. TURN OFF THE POWER. Slowly disassemble the existing hanging light, while you study the structure. If you do not want a hanging light, just remove what is there back to the ceiling box. Disconnect the existing wires (black, white, and ground).

Get your new fixture and install the necessary cross piece (if one is not there already). Twist new wires from fixture to color matched wires in the ceiling box. Install fixture. Be prepared to sweat and grunt and maybe cuss. Screw in light.

Activate switch or dimmer to make sure it works. Call wife and say "TAH DAH."

Good luck!

Back