Dishwasher water not getting hot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdad118

JOAMOS
Reaction score
I’m posting for my sister and I’m not at her place but wondering where I should start. The water is not getting hot anymore. Google is my friend and it’s telling me either the element or thermostat? What are the most common causes? It states between 15-30 ohms for a good element, how do I test the tstat and what are the prices for each? I don’t know what kind yet but am wondering if it could be cheaper to get a new one or not? Thanks in advance.

I cant answer your question on how to check your electronics . but on my dish washer it quit working while under warranty it needed a circuit board and a motor . it cost more than we paid for dishwasher the repairman said they make the newer dishwasher disposable. might be worth just getting a new one the water gets hotter and they clean better imo.

As with most appliances in today's throw away society, toss it out and get a new one.

Thanks all, it’s definitely hooked up to hot water line, waiting to hear back from her about the age. I was golfing this morning so I personally haven’t checked it out yet. Apparently the ohms read was over 30 but waiting to hear what it actually was?

Try posting over at handymanwire.com in the appliance section. You'll need to register but it is free. Jeff1 over there is a real professional on appliance repairs and he'll help you out with common problems. Jeff used to post here, or so I'm told, but he definitely monitors the boards over at the other site. Be sure to include the make and model number, the serial number will help as well as sometimes parts change on a specific model over the lifecycle of the design.

Another great resource is www.repairclinic.com enter the model number and you'll find all the parts you need. It will also tell you how to test the various parts many times with handy videos. The video may not be for your specific model, but they are all pretty much the same anyway. If it is the element, you can look at the price of a new one and determine if it is worth spending the money for a new one. I've used them for parts several times. If you can DIY the repair it may be worth doing, if you have to bring in a repairman you can quickly spend more than a 5-year-old dishwasher is worth. The repairman won't have the part on his truck, so it will take two visits to fix it, one to diagnose it and one to install the replacement parts.

Thanks! I’m going over there this evening with some tools, multimeter. If I determine the element is bad, my sister will order one. I think I saw them for $32.

Well...I’m getting continuity and about 16 ohms at the element so I believe that’s good. Not sure what else to try. I think my sister has decided to get a new one.����

Last edited:
Well...I’m getting continuity and about 16 ohms at the element so I believe that’s good. Not sure what else to try. I think my sister has decided to get a new one.����
That's the best decision she could have made IMO If she spent over 350.00 on one

Back