Crawl space Walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I want to insulate the cinder block walls in my crawl spaces, I have three separate 10x10 cubes of crawl spaces.

I was told by basement Systems that i can just use spray foam as the 'glue' on the cinder block and then use the foam board for insulation. The spray foam with make it stick, but that does not sound right to me.

I found concrete screws that I could screw i the foam board with, and then i could seal the gaps with spray foam, that is what I planned on doing.

What is the recommend way to insulate the crawl space walls? Thanks

what do you mean by conditioning? Its an unfinished basement so no heat or ac, where the crawl space is, is below the living room. Its above ground and about 3' tall with cinder block walls. I dont have any pictures but i will take some tonight and post them

If your AC bills are excessive you could insulate the crawl space walls to take advantage of the cool and more or less constant ground temperature.

If not, and if the crawlspace is not intended to be one of these
http://wiki.ashrae.org/index.php/Conditioned_space
you could instead insulate the crawlspace ceiling.

In any case, figure your break-even point where the monthly cost savings equals the lump $um to do this install. If it's over 10 years, think twice - most people move within 14 years.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what you're trying to accomplish. Adding insulation to an unheated space still leaves it an unheated space. Kind of like moving a cooler from inside your house to cold outside, eventually the temp in the cooler is the same as outside.
If you're trying to make the living space above warmer, you're probably better off adding insulation to the underside of the floors to decrease the thermal conduction from the heated space to the unheated space.

I think the poster is trying to take advantage of the "thermal inertia" of the soil below and mass of the block walls to even out the temperatures.

In a climate where there are radical temperature swings daily and seasonal, the thermal inertia of the mass cuts down the peaks and is like putting money in the bank.

Unfortunately, the OP did not give a clue where he was hiding.

Dick

Back