Ceramic Tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcscorpio68

Reaction score
:confused:I just removed the linolium from two bathrooms and put in ceramic tile. We did not remove the baseboards before laying the tile and being a first timer at laying and cutting tile I have gaps where I didnt get the tile all the way to the base boards. One bathroon turned out really good in spite of the gaps because I put quarter round molding over it. The problem is the other bathroom has rounded corners. How can I cover the gaps with the rounded corners without having to start over. The gaps are to large in places to just put grout or caulk. Help!!!!!

Well, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but this is why it's important to do some homework and to research the proper techniques before doing something for the first time. My dad once told me,"Just because you're not a craftsman, doesn't mean you don't WORK like one."

You could remove the baseboards and tile the wall. There are tiles that are curved at the joint between the wall and floor-----you've seen these in commercial installations. Those may work. It would be nice if they had a bullnose one them to make a smooth tansition onto the wall. But if not, and you don't like the look of a tile ending on the wall with an edge, you can grout it with a 45 degree. I've done that several times and it looks nice.

Thicker base board. Cover a pice of 3x4 inch flatstock with a piece applied to the front of it. Then put a small moulding on top. Makes it come off the wall 1 1x4 inches.
Or you cut small pieces of tile and grout them in.
Good luck.

I'd just use 1x4 pine as base trim and add a 1/4 round to it, if there was still a gap to the tile. Not elegant, but probably won't catch your eye like a caulked gap will.

KCscorpio68:

You said: "The problem is the other bathroom has rounded corners. How can I cover the gaps with the rounded corners without having to start over. The gaps are to large in places to just put grout or caulk."

Would a vinyl baseboard molding glued over what you have solve the problem? Vinyl is flexible, so it would conform to rounded corners. You'd simply have to get a vinyl molding that's shorter than your baseboard, or cut a vinyl molding so that it's shorter than your baseboard.

The option I'm most thinking of, is that if your baseboards are painted, you could repaint them... the same colour as your vinyl baseboard so that the error is hardly noticable.

Johnsonite makes vinyl baseboard moldings in 2 or 3 styles and each one in over 48 different colours.

Any retail flooring store will have a current Johnsonite catalogue you can snoop through. Pick out a colour that will go with your bathroom, and order some vinyl baseboard in that colour. Take it to any paint store and buy some paint tinted to match the colour of the vinyl. Paint your baseboard, then stick the vinyl on.

Last edited:
Back