Lawnmower Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
My lawnmower was inherited with the house, I don't know too much about it other than it does start.

The problem I have is that when it starts it seems to spudder, if i try to cut the grass it stalls when it hits the low end of the spudder. I'm not sure how old it is but would a simple oil change, spark plug be worth a try?

I can try to take a video of the spuddering if it will help. thanks

You can try that, but often the problem with these guys is timeing and point. If someone has run over a rock the key between the crankshaft and flywheel has been sheared part way thru, throwing out of time, and if thats the case, you change the points at the same time.

knockoff.gif

Empty the gas tank and run some fresh gas through it. You might also try some of the cleaner type additives like Seafoam to clean out the carb.
A new properly gapped spark plug would be good choice also.

Thanks Joe,

I plan on doing that this Saturday.

I pulled the spark plug and it was covered in black, I don't know how it started. The air cleaner was black and clogged with dirt/dust and grass. The oil was as black as night.

Should I just get it serviced or replace the parts above and call it a day. Its a 4hp sears lawn mower, I have the model number but I'm not sure how old it is. I was unable to find the manual online. its model number 917.372441

Change the plug, change the oil, put a new air filter in and run some Sea Foam in the gas for a couple tanks. And you're probably gonna need a new blade too.

good call about the blade, is it worth getting the one sharpened or just get a new one? Thanks

The blade depends on the condition. If it is bent, cracked or sharpened so much there is nothing left then replace it. Otherwise clean it, sharpen it AND balance it and use it.

i was just at the store, 16 bucks for a new blade or 10 to sharpen the one I got. I might just buy a new mulching blade. Good call on the balancing, i didn't even think of that!

Back