DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > 3way switch to 4 lights and fan?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM  
biddlecom
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default 3way switch to 4 lights and fan?

Hello, Im attempting to set up a 3way switch on one wall that controls 4 lights and then the other 3way switch on the other wall. That will be for the left side of the room. Then I plan on doing the same thing on the right side BUT need to somehow connect it to the fan which is not ran by a switch but with a remote control. Any help in wiring this would be great.

Also, I have full access as the walls are coming down and I will be working with studs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	10030  

Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3054 Times on 2673 Posts
Likes Given: 5050

The fan needs it's own power source, usually done with a three wire. The extra wire (red) is just for the fan. The way you have ity drawn the three wire would go to the first light and then the fan.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 AM  
biddlecom
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Should the left and right part be on one circuit or should the left be on a circuit and the right be on a circuit?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

I think that depends on what else is on the circuit, I (think) one would do.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddlecom View Post
Should the left and right part be on one circuit or should the left be on a circuit and the right be on a circuit?
Correction to my post. You will be running three wire for the switches but you need another hot just for the fan if that makes sence.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:43 AM  
JoeD
Liked 266 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 19

With multiple lights between the switches you will need four wire cable. I would NOT do it that way. Just run the 3 wire cable between the switches and then connect the light string to one of the switches.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 590 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 246

You have several issues so lets deal with them one at a time ....

1. The 3-way switches control two zones. No problem. Depending on how many devices you have on that one circuit, you could power all of them. I limit my circuits to 10 devices (although some codes allow up to 12).

2. The left zones looks fine to control those lights. If you follow standard 3-way wiring, you should be OK. (Pic #1

3. The right zones mirrors the left zones for the lighting portion and it is fine too.

4. The fan powering needs to come from the power feed into the room which is the hot side of your 3-way switch. Since you are controlling your fan mechanics off the clicker, you can pigtail power from the 3-way hot side and the fan will be "always hot" much like any receptacle. The clicker will cause power to flow into the fan. You have no need to provide a separate switch in the wall for the fan. Simply run a dedicated 14-2 with the black as hot, white as neutral, and the ground from the 3-way hot side up to the fan. Once wired, the fan will not interfere with the lights in that zone. (Pic #2)

Name:	3-way-swtich-light-between2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	10041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan wiring 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	10042  

Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 AM  
JoeD
Liked 266 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
2. The left zones looks fine to control those lights. If you follow standard 3-way wiring, you should be OK. (Pic #1

3. The right zones mirrors the left zones for the lighting portion and it is fine too.
Both of those zones have two lights wired between the switches. That is by no means a standard 3 way setup. It requires four wire cable between the lights.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:25 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 475 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddlecom View Post
Hello, Im attempting to set up a 3way switch on one wall that controls 4 lights and then the other 3way switch on the other wall. That will be for the left side of the room. Then I plan on doing the same thing on the right side BUT need to somehow connect it to the fan which is not ran by a switch but with a remote control. Any help in wiring this would be great.

Also, I have full access as the walls are coming down and I will be working with studs.
First of all, where is the hot pair, and do they exist in multiple locations?

Old 10-13-2015, 06:24 PM  
biddlecom
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

okay this what i came up with. The diagram show 6 switches, 3 lights and a fan. The 3 bottom switches are dimmers: 2 - 3way are for lights and 1 - single pole is for a fan. The 3 top are normal switches: 2 - 3ways for lights and 1 single pole for outside light. I have two circuits because the left and right lights are both going have multiple along side the 1 I just didnt have enough room to put them.

So i need a 3way dimmer and a 3way to control the left side lights and I need a 3way dimmer and a 3way to control the right side lights. I also need the single pole fan dimmer to control the fan and the single pole on top to control the outside lights. I know the diagram is messy but it looks correct? Any help would be awesome. Thank you to everyone.

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	10063