what's in this wall????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimmilk68

Reaction score
I would love to tear down this little wall. I know it's not structural but have no idea why the builders put it there. I was thinking perhaps plumbing ran down but it's just a bedroom directly above it (pics below).

Do you guys think builders just put it there to give a little separation from kitchen/living room? Any other reason?
0528121717.jpg

0528121718.jpg

upstairs directly above that wall
***CORRECTION*** the room above it ends right where that mini wall is standing.
0528121719.jpg

Last edited:
The living room is vaulted and the other room has a room above it, so just above this wall you have a girder truss or a beam to support the outside wall and the roof above it. So the question is what is below this wall as this could be holding up a beam?

The living room is vaulted and the other room has a room above it, so just above this wall you have a girder truss or a beam to support the outside wall and the roof above it. So the question is what is below this wall as this could be holding up a beam?

well the floor joists under that mini wall run parallel so i assumed its not load bearing

Just make sure there isn't a beam or evan a double floor joist under the wall, then you are good to rip away.

Well it can be considered as a separation between the living room and kitchen. Also it can used to place some photos or some paintings to give your house a nice look. Well it doesn't seems to be a problem with this wall unless you really want to tear it off.

It is your house, so if you want to lose the wall, then it is your choice. That settled, you have to ask "is is worth it for such a minor change?"

You will have to piece the wood floor. Can you match it?
You will have to fix the wall and ceiling drywall. Can you do it?
You will have to piece in the baseboard. Can you match it?
The outlet will have to be moved or removed. Do you know how?

Things to consider, yes?

Emily: A photo of a wall of any size will not be enough to tell if it is bearing. But in this case it may. The room on the left has a room above and the room on the right has a roof and valted ceiling so that wall could be supporting an exterior wall.
So just using the photo you should have seen a load bearing wall.

Back