Materials needed to add new bathroom in our house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
We want to make sure we have everything...

we want to add a bathroom and would like to know what material is needed to add a new bathroom?

Please give a complete list.

Are you adding a room to the building, or just re-designing a room inside the building. onsuite or powder room? Size?

adding new bathroom in the space where I have some storage space

Will the door be left where it is now?
Have you checked distance the plumbing will have to run and still have required slope?
Size of room?
Bath tub, Bath and shower, or just shower, plastic shower base or tile?
Door is located how many inches from the corner of which wall in which wall and location of window?
Access to attic above and crawl space below? Or are you dealing with finished space above or below?

Will the door be left where it is now?
Have you checked distance the plumbing will have to run and still have required slope?
Size of room?
Bath tub, Bath and shower, or just shower, plastic shower base or tile?
Door is located how many inches from the corner of which wall in which wall and location of window?
Access to attic above and crawl space below? Or are you dealing with finished space above or below?

1.I have 10x7 room where I can add bathroom.
2.no attic above neither crawl space...concrete slab.

You are aware the the floor will have to be cut up and trenched all the way to tie into the main line coming from the other toilet and a vent pipe will have to go thru the roof?

Yeah...I will need help I know but am trying to collect all materials needed.

I understand that, but you will have to devope a plan for how things are going to fit in the room.
With some of the basics like a standard tub fits up against the studs at 60" long and width up to 36" or less.
You don't want a window in the shower, a one piece shower tub will not go in without knocking down walls.
A vanity is usually 24" deep at the countertop.
If you come thru the door with the vanity on your left or right the door should be something like 27" from that wall where the vanity will fit.
Doors can be moved but then you have figure if it is load bearing or not.
The toilet needs an area no less than 36" wide.

Do not start with a parts list; start with a floor plan.

Make sure you will have enough space around the toilet (WC). the sink can be small if necessary and if you are comfortable with it. You can put in a bathtub, or a shower stall; which one will fit? Or perhaps it will be just a wash room.

The placement of these items will determine what will be needed to do the job.

You are getting great advice here from these guys ... Give us a layout drawing (doesn't have to be professional) of the space and how you envision the finished bathroom, with all items in place. Another drawing with the adjoining rooms and location of water, electrical and sewer would also be helpful.

Why?

This defines the project which, in turn, defines the parts list. Honestly, the parts come in stages depending on the space requirements. For example, you have a storage space ... but you need a "wet wall" framed with a 2x6 to allow for plumbing of supplies, drains and vents. The distance to the sewer defines the amount of main drain pipe and fitting types. The condition of the floor and your eventual floor surface defines whether you need to add Hardie board or plywood. Is your exterior wall properly insulated? It has to be or your bathroom will be cold. Do you have HVAC access and where will the vents go in the new space?

All this is good. Construction is a process you need to look at in phases then step back and see if you left anything out. Hang in there ... working off a slab and no attic means cutting into the walls to route water and electrical, not to mention sewer.

Ok...quick question...should we avoid used fiberglass bathtub? a friend is giving away for free.....it does not have any cracks or stains or damage etc.

Free is good if you like it. It depends on how it fits in the room and where the pipes are going to be. Usually you design the room and buy a tub with plumbing on the right or left.

Any suggestion on how can I bring that bathtub ? I have a pickup truck which has 6 feet long bed ...I mean what should I use to protect it from being damaged when I bring it to my house from about 50 miles away?

Is it a tub or tub and shower one piece. If it just a tub, you will have no trouble packing it home. If it is a one piece with a surround, you will want to check sizes first. They don;t often fit thru doors, a little tricky for a finished house.

Latest posts

Back