Asbestos

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaurick

Reaction score
I've been doing some research about a house I recently acquired. I don't totally trust the details given to me, so I want to look into it on my own. The house was built in 1926 (all sources say), and I was wondering how common it might have been to put Asbestos in wall plaster at that time in a place like Southern California.

It could be there, you will never know unless it is tested.This is the only way to know for sure.:(

does anyone know of good testing companies for popcorn ceilings that might contain Asbestos?

Your local area health department will have some contacts. They are sometimes also able to test it for you., other than that ask around where you live.

The metro area that I work in is pretty particular about dealing with asbestos. Most of the time the best solution is to leave it in place and cover it with a new product. On Eric's ceiling, they would suggest just installing new drywall and leaving the existing ceiling in place.
hth, Doug

The metro area that I work in is pretty particular about dealing with asbestos. Most of the time the best solution is to leave it in place and cover it with a new product. On Eric's ceiling, they would suggest just installing new drywall and leaving the existing ceiling in place.
hth, Doug

This is a bad idea, sorry. But when the next guy comes along and removes the ceiling they have no clue that there is asbestos buried underneath. ALL that dust just goes into the air and continues to stay in the home until it is all evacuated. Either by your lungs or someone else's. The particulates are so small, they go right through a vacuum bag, and back into the air.
My advice, just accept it for what it is and get rid of it.Then you sleep at night, and worry about the next thing like asbestos.:eek:

Back