In what order should I do work?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamianTC

Reaction score
I just bought my first house and it needs a lot of updates. For the living room, dining room, and 2 bed rooms, I plan to paint the walls, sand and restore the hardwood floors, have new windows installed.

My question is what would be the best order to do those 3 things?

It would benefit you to start with the windows, then paint the walls, followed by sanding and restoring the floors. If you do the windows after you paint, you may have to do touch-ups. If you start with the floors, you risk them being damaged when the windows are installed/you paint the walls.

Just my 2 cents...

The DrunkenDIY is right. You generally always want to do floors last because of the mess that the other jobs can make of them. For example, you don't want to spill paint on a refinished hardwood floor.

And, of course, there may be painting to do after installing the windows, so better to install the windows first, then paint, then do the floor.

I concur with the others... windows, walls, then floor... that way you aren't installing/fixing anything that will screw the other new repairs up. Cheers!

yep, i look at it this way - outside to inside, top to bottom.

How is the roof?

You could paint before you do the windows and then do touch-ups after. If you're careful and you plan ahead it shouldn't be too much work, but indeed you should absolutely do floors last.

DAMIAN,

Go with the advice above and you will not go wrong.

Are you a DIYr?

The windows will be the most bang for the buck as far as saving on heating/cooling costs and fresh paint adds great value. Remember your prepping for paint is just as important as your actual painting.

Nice wood floors will finish it off like a new space. Updated light fixtures can also add much value at a reasonable cost. Do some shopping around for sales, etc.

How about posting some before pictures and more as you work toward your goal.

You have some great supporters here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back