Hello From Texas!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMayo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined because I think I may need a lot of help and advice. My log home has been completed to the shell stage and from here on, it is my job to complete the interior. This will not be a speedy project as I am a retired great grandmother with a disabled husband so my time is limited to a few hours each day. That's not a complaint mind you - just a fact. My husband and I built our original dream home in 1987 and helped our son build his log home in 2001. When we had to sell our home (too big, too many acres, too much fencing, lawn mowing, swimming pool cleaning, etc.) I decided that I wanted my own log cabin so here I am at age 65 completing the interior. Tomorrow I start my pre-fab fireplace framework which must be completed for installation of the fireplace and chimney by next Thursday.

I'm looking forward to discussing my various projects with everyone.:cool:

Welcome Ellen:
What a challenge for a person in your state. I admire your spunk but I think it may be time to call in some of the favor from the son. Be prepared to take 2 to 3 years to do the job without outside help.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn. My son will be helping as often as possible. Our cabin is on his 100 acres but he works a real JOB about 60+ hours a week and then has his own place to be tended. He plans to take some vacation when we start the ceilings (hardest part in the vaulted area) and will help if I holler. Most of the work will require installing 1x6 tongue and groove ponderosa blue pine or 1x8 white pine on the walls. Pretty simple application process and I am having all the electrical, plumbing, HVAC installation by certified licensed contractors. The tile is being done by a local tile contractor but I'm planning to install the hardwood floors. We'll see how it goes - I told my husband it will not be a quick process so he needs to be patient. Thanks for the welcome.

Hi everyone, just wanted to update my status on finishing the interior of my log home. I have posted pictures in the gallery and hope to post more in a couple of days. Basically, all of the walls and ceilings are complete. Still have to manufacture the trim pieces for ceiling cove, outside corners, inside corners, etc. Cabinets are installed. The fireplace framework is ready to be enclosed - just waiting on a professional to install the log beams in the vaulted ceiling area. I will be building a storage/closet on both sides of the loft window - project will start today. The windows will be trimmed out with aromatic red cedar (grown in Texas). I will also use red cedar to face the loft floor joist that is visible in the open area. You can view videos of the entire project at http://youtube.com/user/mayosdream

Glenn: Just wanted you to know that my son, son-in-law, grandson, and brother all helped with the ceilings. We rented scaffolding for safety and convenience. My son-in-law said it was time for payback for all of those Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Am in hopes of having Thanksgiving dinner in our new home this year. Yeah....I have been working on it every day - even when it was 105.:eek:

Back