Loose rendering to front top protusion

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I have a 3 bed semi and the triangular protrusion at the front, just above the top bay window, has the white smooth rendering cracked and peeling off between the black wooden insets.
I'm new to the diy scene so any advice would be very helpful as to how to fix this, what materials I'll need to seal and fill, where to get them, etc. Afraid I don't know the correct name for this triangular bit at the front, above the bay window, so hope my decription is enough.

Thanks

Is the paint peeling?
Or is the wood cracking and separating?
Is it a plaster finish that is cracking?

Thanks for your interest, its the plaster finish that is cracking. The woods ok.

Chipping away the loose plaster would be the best place to start. Make sure there is no damage beneath the surface of the plaster, If you do find damage, You need to repair it as soon as possible. Then you can begin the plaster repair. The nearest lumber company can usually help you find the right materials. Avoid the premixed patching compounds.
After the repair is finished and dried, you may need to go back and caulk the edges of the plaster where it meets any other materials, wood, aluminum, etc.

Back