Stair Treads and risers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banffan

Reaction score
My flooring installer's price for the stairs seems ridiculously high to me: he orders in the stair treads from another supplier, I believe. The product will be better than the DY kits from home depot, but not worth what he's charging (I'll end up with a $5000 staircase if I go with him, however this does include sanding down and staining-to-match the banister and a few other pieces of wood). My plan is to paint the light oak banister, and build and install the floor treads myself. The risers will be easy: they will be painted ivory so its just a matter of picking out the wood, cutting, painting, and installing them.

I need advice on the treads. My first thought was, using the hardwood flooring strips, build each tread and install it as a unit. However, why wouldn't I just install the individual pieces, fit together tongue in groove, with the last piece bullnosed as it is the front of the tread. This seems too easy, so there must be more too it. Is there? Where might I encounter difficulty?

Any advice would be appreciated.

banffan said:
My flooring installer's price for the stairs seems ridiculously high to me: he orders in the stair treads from another supplier, I believe. The product will be better than the DY kits from home depot, but not worth what he's charging (I'll end up with a $5000 staircase if I go with him, however this does include sanding down and staining-to-match the banister and a few other pieces of wood). My plan is to paint the light oak banister, and build and install the floor treads myself. The risers will be easy: they will be painted ivory so its just a matter of picking out the wood, cutting, painting, and installing them.

I need advice on the treads. My first thought was, using the hardwood flooring strips, build each tread and install it as a unit. However, why wouldn't I just install the individual pieces, fit together tongue in groove, with the last piece bullnosed as it is the front of the tread. This seems too easy, so there must be more too it. Is there? Where might I encounter difficulty?

I just finished redoing our stairs. I bought the treads from HD and sawed off bullnose. I then used my router and round over bit to get a nice rounded edge with a slight moulded bottom. Since I just laid cherry wood floors, I took a plank to Sherwin Williams and they matched it with a stain. Stairway came out beautiful. The best part was my total cost was under $200. I'd be happy to email you some pix if you like. Just let me know. Good Luck!

Your idea should be fine.

I would really like to see the pictures of your finished product. Please email me some if you don't mind: [email protected]
Why did y ou saw off the bullnose?

I just finished redoing our stairs. I bought the treads from HD and sawed off bullnose. I then used my router and round over bit to get a nice rounded edge with a slight moulded bottom. Since I just laid cherry wood floors, I took a plank to Sherwin Williams and they matched it with a stain. Stairway came out beautiful. The best part was my total cost was under $200. I'd be happy to email you some pix if you like. Just let me know. Good Luck!

Agree with the others that the option you came up with should work.

Latest posts

Back