who to call?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsleygirl

Reaction score
hi - i own a house that was built in the late 1800s that has a stone foundation and dirt basement. the house has some issues that need to be addressed and i'm not sure what kind of professional to call. 1) basement is damp and has standing water after long periods of rain and snow melt (the property is low and wet also and i should probably figure out water diversion, too) 2) various floor boards on first floor seem to be warping 3) house seems to be lower on one side than the other. does it need to be lifted on one side? i don't know who to call to start getting possible diagnoses, solutions and estimates for these problems. structural engineer, builder, etc? does anyone have any suggestions? many thanks! :)
oh my goodness, just noticed this dancing banana and can't resist adding it to my message. :banana:

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

My suggestion would be to first consult with a structural rngineer prior to calling anyone else. They will give you advise on what course of action would be best, then when you contact professionals, you can have a better scope of work that needs to be done.

thanks for your reply ODNT! a structural engineer is a consultant, correct? he/she would diagnose problems and suggest course of action, but then i would hire other experts to actually carry out the work?
:banana:

parsleygirl said:
thanks for your reply ODNT! a structural engineer is a consultant, correct? he/she would diagnose problems and suggest course of action, but then i would hire other experts to actually carry out the work?
:banana:

You are correct.

Back