Shower pan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
I just had a old shower removed in which the floor of it squeaked really bad when moving around in it. Now, I have a tile shower with a shower pan at the bottom. I watched it be installed and it is snug to the floor. However, after about a week it is now squeaking around the drain just like the old shower. How can I get this fixed??

Wood floor and no mortar under the pan? Hole in floor just big enough for the drain pipe to fit thru?

I don't think it was morterd. Under the house, the drain pipe is sitting tightly in a cut out section of a floor joist.

cut out section of a floor joist.

How much floor joist was cut out Without anything under it, it will move a little and the noise is likely where the pipe rubs against the wood.
Can you post a photo or two from below?

When installing a fiberglass pan, I always put a number of dollops of mortar around the base before dropping the pan down. When it sets, it forms a solid base in cotact with the pan to minimize movement. What you are probably hearing is that movement against the drain pipe or the pan rubbing against the subfloor.

OOOPS. :eek:

Yes, I can. From looking at the pan from underneath the house it looks perfectly snug with the floor. I'll post some pics, though.

Ok, so I got under my house to take pictures and noticed I had a leak. It was coming from the shower water supply pipes at the top near the shower head. The subfloor appeared to be pretty wet. The leak was repaired and now a week later the creaking noise has decreased by at least 75%. Could that have been the bulk of the problem?

Honestly it would make sense that a creaky wet floor would be the source of the noise. After it dried up, there's less movement and elasticity.

Ok, so I got under my house to take pictures and noticed I had a leak. It was coming from the shower water supply pipes at the top near the shower head. The subfloor appeared to be pretty wet. The leak was repaired and now a week later the creaking noise has decreased by at least 75%. Could that have been the bulk of the problem?

That's great news, not often that the house complains about a problem for you to fix. I would still like to know how much of the joists was cut away.

I'll get some pics up of the drain pipe running into the joist in a couple of days.

Back