Water driping from the ceiling- is the ventilation, roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emac

Reaction score
We just rented our house, after moving in a new one. The roof is about 8, 9 years old, a tearoff; and we changed the guters, added insulation, and vents in that overhang( are they called "sofit vents or gable vents"?). So pretty good condition, never had a problem until a couple of days ago when the renter told us the there is water on the ceiling by the outside walls in kitchen, 2 bedrooms, and 2 closets. They have to wipe it couple of times a day because it starts driping. My hubby went to check, he got in the atic, and he said the insulation seems damp and there was frost on the ceiling(on the nail heads in the roof). It's too cold to have water driping, we thought maybe conensation, or ice dams. We googled it and it said when you see frost on the roof nail heads in the attic and damp insulation is a ventilation problem. Any ideas what could be the problem? By the way the water stoped driping for almost 2 days but it started again in a closet.
We did not know what to do, so we called the insurance, they came, did not go in the attic, just looked and measured the wet areas, and looked at the outside, the roof and the guters(which seem to be pretty clean, so probably no ice dams). They said it was the third house with that problem they saw that day, and it hapens when is this cold. That's not a good enough answer for me, "it hapens"; it should not happen. Now somebody from "water damage " or something like that has to come to see what needs to be replaced: insulation and maybe some drywall. We still dont know what the actual problem is, and if the only thing insurance will do is replace some things and not find the problem, how do we know it won't hapen again. Since we have $1000 deductable we were thinking of maybe geting the money from the insurance and using some roofing company to find and fix the problem, but the insurance said they give waranty only on their contractors work. So is it worth paying $1000 to have insulation and drywall fixed( which me and my hubby can do, we are very handy) just because is under their waranty in case it hapens again? Any sugestions? I'm worried that what they'll do is fix the damage not the problem.

If ventilation was added at the soffit area and not balanced with exhaust ventilation near the top, you may be trapping moisture in the attic that freezes when temps drop. Check for restriction of insulation near the outside wall that would restrict air flow and also make sure that the exhaust vents are properly cut out to proper size.

you should also get a blower door test done while your fixing the insulation. I have a feeling since it is in only a few areas that there is some big air movement from the holes drilled near the outside walls. Sometimes warm air will follow a hole in the framing from a pipe, or even electrical wires up from the lower levels. This warms the area alot more than the surrounding area. Also look at bathroom vent areas into the attic., the vent should go to the exterior.
Good luck.

You have to have an inbalance between the ridge vent and the soffit vents. If you mess with this balance, then air can come in the ridge and exit the soffits which is not a good thing.
By installing ventilated soffits, you effectively changed the formula for venting.

Did you by chance accidentally cover some of the soffit vents with insulation?
Do you have a continuous ridge vent installed or just a couple of can vents?

Another possibility would be ice damming or just poor insulation in that particular area.

Is there any sign of water leaking on the rafters and the underside of the roof sheathing?

If the bathroom fan exhaust at the soffet some of those vents should be blocked or the vapour can find it's way into the attic.

If the bathroom fan exhaust at the soffet some of those vents should be blocked or the vapour can find it's way into the attic.

Back drafting into a ventilated soffit panel is definitely a problem with moisture and eventually mold.
The bathroom fan exhaust should vent through the roof.

Back drafting into a ventilated soffit panel is definitely a problem with moisture and eventually mold.
The bathroom fan exhaust should vent through the roof.

It may have been there before the venting was added, six feet of solid soffet would be the fix, to bad the OP dosn't come back.

Back