Mandatory Introduction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhughes

Reaction score
I am reading through many of the posts to see which of my questions may already be addressed. But it seems that this implementation of vBulletin is going to persist in eating up my screen realestate with the please introduce yourself nag:

Hello brianhughes,
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before!

We welcome new members so please introduce yourself in our Introduction Forum

Also feel free to post any questions you have, ideas you need suggestions on, or help another member with a problem you know the solution to. New posts are very welcomed here so please take the time to be active in our community, we would appreciate it very much!

Sooo, here goes:

My name is Brian, I am in Memphis and we are one of the Gizillion families who over the last year have tried and failed to sell our home. Unfortunately, last May we put our house on the market and within 6 weeks, four of the other 8 homes on this short dead-end block also had signs out. With 5 houses clustered together for sale like that, I am sure that any prospective buyers had to assume that something was really wrong with the area.

One sold, it was in fixer-upper status, due to the owner/resident passing away, and it went for the proverbial song.

As our family is about to explode out of this house our only other option is to do major renovations. The house is a 1921 bungalow, about 1200sf original, with a second floor addition put in recently, about 1950, on top of the back half of the house. I am looking to extend that addition forward over the entire rest of the house, for an additional 600ish sf.

This project I will mainly leave to the professionals, I may do some of the finishing to save a $ here and there.

Also, it seems that closets did not exist in 1920, so we have very limited storage, there is no usable attic (too shallow), and a small basement which regularly makes use of the installed sump-pump, leading us to the belief that we should not store any thing subject to water damage down there. Currently most of my worldly possessions are a few blocks away in a 5’ by 10’ rental closet.

Consequently, the second part of my goal is to also build a two story garage/shed on an existing garage slab in the back corner of the yard. This project I will be looking for advice on and will post appropriately in the proper department of the forum.

So here’s to hoping that I will get an inch and a half of my screen back!

-Brian

We look forward to answering anything you may want advice on.
There are many professionals on board and many DIY folks with great knowledge on a lot of topics.
Grab a shovel and welcome to the "Dig inn".:)

Back