TV and a wood bruning fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner1659

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a conversation with my father about ideas for our living room. I would like the focal point to be the fireplace with a flat screen tv mounted on the wall above it or resting on the mantel. He explained to me that we might have a problem with that due to the heat that comes from the fireplace...

True or False?

Is their anything we could do to diffuse the heat away from the mantel? We want to use our fireplace and the best location for the tv is above the fireplace, but I want to make sure that it's ok to place it their.

Thanks

My parents remodeled their den a few years ago and installed a new flat screen tv above their fire place. They have had no issues with heat and the tv, and they have a fire in the fireplace almost every night.

We had a 42 inch plasma mounted above our family room fireplace for five years in our previous house. We never had any problems. Frankly, I never thought about it.

If the chimney is drafting properly, then air should be drawn into the fireplace from the house and rise up the chimney. If hot flue gas from the fire is rising into your house, then your chimney isn't drafting properly, and continued use of that fireplace could cause CO to be formed, which could potentially endanger your life.

If Dad is concerned, why not apply some Saran Wrap to the bottom of the TV as a canary in a coal mine. If the Saran Wrap doesn't melt, or show signs of heat damage, then you've got no concerns about the TV set.

If the fireplace is perfectly built without any heat problems then I don't really see any problem with putting a tv on top of it. My bestfriend had their LCD TV mounted on the wall on top of their fireplace and they didn't got any issues at all.

I have a plasma TV and it is hanging on its stand on the mantle of my wood-burning fireplace, since three months. I wrap the screen when I utilize the fireplace only to defend from warmth (heat) to moving directly to the screen.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
In general the TV lifetime will be halved for each 10C temp. rise above the design ambient temperature.

Check the temp. just below the TV with a household thermometer with a roaring fire. Depending on the chimney draft you may be OK.

We have never had a problem and have installed hundreds of TV's above fireplaces. Generally, its not any hotter above the fire place than to the left or right especially if you have a mantel.

We have had a TV abover our fireplace for 3 years, it is gas powered and has vents that push the air down and out, but no we have not had any issues with the heat causing a problem for the TV.

Latest posts

Back