Ceramic Tile over Vinyl flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty

Reaction score
We'll be updating our kitchen from vinyl flooring to ceramic tile. Do we really need to pull up the vinyl flooring? Can we just lay the tile over the top of the vinyl?

BTW - Great site!

Welcome to the Forum Kitty;
I would not lay ceramic tile over vinyl for several reasons;
1. it won't stick and your tile will be comming up in several places
2. the vinyl is ever-so-lightly spongy which will break the grout lines
3. we don't know what the former owner covered up with the vinyl
4. stripping to the subfloor and starting back with cementious board will give
a lasting, proven backing for the tile.
5. If you do the whole thing by the numbers you will have a job you can be
proud of.
I'm sure I will think of some other reasons by tomorrow but, for now, you have enough bad news to deal with. Let us know how it turns out and post some picutres if possible.
Glenn

Tiling over vinyl is a huge "no no".
If you use unmodified thinset under the CBU and use screws rather then nails... I doubt youll ever have a problem in this life time. If it were my house...Id pull it up. BUT, if it was asbestos I would leave it and CBU over it and still never have a worry.
Find out if its asbestos and if it is either have someone remove it for ya or lay your cement board over it and use screws.

Thanks everyone!

We built this house 15 years ago so I'm sure their isn't asbestos in the floor, and I know it's plywood underneath. We're a huge believer in doing a job right the first time, so we'll rip up the vinyl. I hadn't thought of laying the CBU over the vinyl... :) That would definitely save a lot of time and mess.

We're picking out carpet for the adjoining rooms tonight, so we'll be able to make a final decision about the tile soon.

Thanks Bud! I guess we'll be ripping up the vinyl for sure.

Ugh. This job is gonna suck.

The vinyl itself isn't always necessarily the main problem. It's the 1/4" underlayment under the vinyl that is the real troublemaker. Check it out.:)

The majority of vinyl tear outs that Ive done turned out to be simple. I always dread doing them because of the possible headache it can be but it usually goes well. Good luck and lets us know how it goes.

We pulled up the carpet that butts up against the vinyl flooring and confirmed there is a 1/4" hardboard underneath. There isn't plywood underneath that, I guess it's the "large chunk" particle board.

Are you saying we need to rip up the 1/4" hardboard? Is that particle board stuff ok, or do we have to replace that too?

We pulled up the carpet that butts up against the vinyl flooring and confirmed there is a 1/4" hardboard underneath. There isn't plywood underneath that, I guess it's the "large chunk" particle board.

Are you saying we need to rip up the 1/4" hardboard? Is that particle board stuff ok, or do we have to replace that too?

Replace it :( Post a pic if you can

1/4 inch sub isnt enough for tile, 3/4 is the right way to go about it.

OK, we'll rip up that 1/4" hardboard.

That particle board that's underneath is 3/4". Is that ok? Should we lay something over the top of the 3/4" particle board?

I'll post up pics tomorrow.

BTW - you guys ROCK! I'm so appreciative of the help!:)

yup, use unmodified thinset with a small v notch trowel, then screw it down 5 rows of screws 8 inches apart per 3x5 board. Use fiberglass joint tape with thinset just like spackeling drywall seams. Next step is tile !

Thanks TileGuy. We'll do that.

Pics to follow shortly...

My tile project will be on hold for a little bit as I seemed to have strained my back and now have muscle spasms. This is some kind of pain!

We're also putting down hardwood flooring and replacing the carpet. We're converting our formal dining room into an office, ripping up the carpet and replacing it with hardwood (no laminate). My husband is getting that floor prepped right now.

Hello Kitty:
It sounds like you and your husband are very busy with your home. We look forward to the pictures.
Glenn

Update:
Vinyl flooring and subfloor are ripped up and gone. We're down to 5/8" plywood; put down underlayment and have finished the tiling in the laundry room!

The kitchen is done, and will be ready to seal the grout tomorrow, which means I'll have appliances again!

The last of the tiling is being done in the foyer. We're doing that room on the diagonal so there are lots of cuts.

I've got photos to post up but they need to be resized because the files are too big.

I just wanted to give y'all an update! You guys rock!

Update:
I've got photos to post up but they need to be resized because the files are too big.

I just wanted to give y'all an update! You guys rock!

Cant wait to see em !

Before: Kitchen/Eating area with vinyl flooring removed

resize002.jpg

Thinset spread, tile laid out with 1/4" spacers....dry, dry, dry

resize0028.jpg

The drill that gave its life while mixing thinset. My hubby was real upset to have to buy a new Dewalt

DSC_0019 Small Web view.jpg

Could it be.....done?
YEAH! Just have the foyer, bathroom and closet to go!

DSC_0034 Small Web view.jpg

Latest posts

Back