Help. Need fence fix ideas.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellie

Reaction score
Hi. I came out of the house this morning and I noticed that a single post on my PVC fence was broken. It's cracked and bent back. I have no clue how this might have happened. My best guess is maybe a random bird accidentally flew into it. There are no kids on my street, so I can't blame it on an errant baseball or football throw.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to go about fixing it.
- Should I get some vinyl cement and just try and glue it back together?
- Or should I try and replace just that individual post? (I have some left over skinny post pieces from when the fence was put up.)
Any advice would be great. Thanks.

brokenfence.jpg

Welcome Kellie:
The regular run of the mill bird does not have the strength or weight to break that post; it takes a pretty good lick to do that.
I would replace the whole post.
Glenn

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was kind of thinking that it was a little too busted-up to glue back together - and still look decent. I'll look into how to go about replacing the post. Maybe I can call the manufacturer and get some tips.
I'm still really baffled what caused this. Oh well, I guess it'll stay an unsolved mystery. Thanks again.

there should be some little caps on the railing side of the fence, under the cap is the screws that hold the individual picket onto the rail.
good luck
justin

Hello Kellie:
I don't know what brand your picket fence is, but I have some that looks the same kind which came from Home Depot. On mine the pickets are cemented on the rail, when we work with PVC and cement we end up with the plastic welded togather.
The only way I could remove a picket is with a small side grinder. It will take some time and a light touch to remove the picket smoothly and cement a new one on.
Glenn

Hi. Yes, I discovered on the fence I have (from Lowe's I think), there are no screws - the pickets are glued to the rail. Since I have a number of left over pieces of fence, I think I'll practice the procedure on those, before I tackle the real fence - just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back