Dang Rabbits!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixerUpper445

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to keep rabbits out of my back yard? I dont really have any plants or anything like that buy they are pooping everywhere and my dog continues to eat it like they are treats, hence giving her a bad parasite - it's a neverending nightmare and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello FixerUpper:
Invite a Red-Tailed Hawk over for a backyard feast. It won't take long.
Glenn

Well...I don't have this issue...nor do I know someone who does...but I have been looking around the internet to see if I can find something to help. Most of the people have trouble keeping them out of the garden and the solutions for that seems very specific.

However...one seems to be a common one people list. People have been suggesting to sprinkle fox or coyote urine around your garden. Large animal urines are available at many gardening or farm supply stores.

This is just what I've seen on the internet.

Rabbits are a problem. The hawk solution is a good one but hard to manage. I have begun using Blood Meal. This has an odor of blood (to an animal) and will cause rabbits to go elsewhere (your neighbors). It seems that rabbits seem to pick on a spot and continue to frequent that location until they fully consume grass and then kill the remaining grass with their droppings. I have had some success in causing them to go elsewhere by lightly spreading blood meal in a location. I'm not sure how long this works since I have just started this process this summer. It was recommended by a Master Gardener for rabbit control.

The fox urine idea is common but can get expensive. My neighbors finally put up 12" chickenwire around the fenced perimeter (split rail fence) to keep them out. So if you have a garden you are trying to protect, you might buy a small bag and see if it works.

i live in a rural area of albuquerque, nm. i have had problems with rabbits in my backyard; i bought some chickenwire from home depot (it's fairly inexpensive) and put it up against areas of the fence they were getting through. this stopped them completely, although i'm not sure it really adds to the resale value. good luck,

jb

Liquid fence works until you get a few heavy rains. Then you have to reapply. I'm not a promoter of killing, but it becomes a more viable option everytime they eat something.

Back