Tornado Recovery

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than I'd be willing to pay if I bought one off the shelf. But then I guess it's not really an off the shelf item. Start to finish, I probably have somewhere between 15 to 20 hours in it. Not being on the clock when I do my own stuff, I tend to take my time & spend time on little details most people probably wouldn't want to pay for. It's therapeutic.

It's been about 3 months since I ran my fingers through the saw working on the front wall of the foyer. I had a little time this weekend and decided to get back at the job that would probably have been done and forgotten by now. I'm in my busy time at work, so the project will progress in spurts now. I got rid of the white vinyl 1/4 round around the side panels, replaced with oak and covered the white door jams with oak, so now it looks a little more finished. Next, the wall.

Font door trim finished 3.26.17-3.jpg

Last edited:
wow. I had not noticed this thread before today. Amazing repair work and the stuff your CNC can do is amazing as well. But then, you came up with some awesome designs.
Love the little birdhouse, and the job you did on that door trim is spectacular.

How are your fingers doing?

I'm so glad you were able to get your house fixed back up after the tornado.

Simply beautiful!

Thanks havasu

wow. I had not noticed this thread before today. Amazing repair work and the stuff your CNC can do is amazing as well. But then, you came up with some awesome designs.
Love the little birdhouse, and the job you did on that door trim is spectacular.

How are your fingers doing?

I'm so glad you were able to get your house fixed back up after the tornado.

Thanks zannej. Outside is pretty much done except for the deck still needs to be rebuilt. Inside will take some time because that work thing gets in the way, but we're trying to go a room at a time, fixing tornado stuff and just plain old honey-do stuff.

Fingers are doing good, they just feel like a bad sprain at this point, but they work and continue to improve. I won't be doing any hand modeling going forward. Unless maybe for an OSHA safety brochure or something. :hide:

Got a little tornado rehab done today. We had a lot of glass in the gravel driveways. I tried scraping a couple inches off the top, but you could still see glass glittering in the lights at night. Last fall I dug a bunch out and donated it to the local boy scout campgrounds. I built a walking path across a ditch.
I got 1 load of road grinding laid down last fall, but the summer got away from us. A couple days ago they brought the second load so I leveled it off today. I finished it with an 8' wide square tubing frame I used to make a bench in the garage. Took the bench down to make room for the laser engraver, so the bench was repurposed as a drag. Pulled it behind the lawn tractor, made the grindings nice & flat. Nice job to be done with.

Grindings 1a.jpg

Grinmdings 1b.jpg

Grinmdings 4.jpg

Grinmdings 3.jpg

Grinmdings 2.jpg

Grinmdings 5.jpg

Grinmdings 6.jpg

How did you like the bobcat walk behind? I almost bought one a few years back

It's like my hired man. I've made attachments for it for the sign business. Sure makes install jobs go easier.

Thanks zannej. Slowly getting things back to normal.

Hello. It's been awhile since I've had time to do any post tornado repair. I've had a couple back accidents over the years that haunt me and acid reflux, so my wife & I decied to replace our 2 decade old bed with an adjustable base bed. Well, one thing lead to another and we ended up tearing out the carpet, that was showered with glass & replaced it with a laminate floor. My wife has alergies so replacing carpet with more carpet didn't seem like a good idea. I boxed in the hot water heat runs in the crawl space under the master bath & bedroom and insulated the floor joists, so the hard surface flooring isn't cold. We re-painted the lite green walls with sort of a light tan/gray color. I finished it off with a digital print of Pikes Peak in CO for an accent wall. I took that shot during our 39th anniversary trip. Of all the places we've gone so far the mountains are our favorite. Got a few details to finish yet and have to move stuff back in, but we now have one more room checked off the tornado renovation list. I suppose I should change those outlets to ground fault now that they're in the water. :rofl:

Bedroom wall.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow! That is an awesome photo and it looks beautiful on the wall! How difficult was that to put up?

That picture could be marketed as a background/screensaver for people's computers. I love it!

The flooring looks very nice and I like the wood door. I also like your ceiling fan. It looks like a classier version of the one we have in our living room with the multiple flower-type shades for the bulbs.

I like how the smoke alarm (is that a smoke alarm) is yellow like a sun.

I hope that you will enjoy your new adjustable bed!

Great job!

Thanks zannej. Little by little it's looking less and less like a tornado came through. All but 1 or 2 lots in our nieghborhood now have been rebuilt, some not occupied yet. We'll be back to normal soon, less the large trees we won't see in our lifetime.

I'm very glad that you've been able to fix it up and that people are recovering from the tornado. It always makes me sad when people lose their homes.

Knocked out another post-tornado project today. I've had the patio door replaced for a long time, but never got around to finishing the inside. We bought a vinyl clad door with a golden oak wood finish on the inside. The problem was the golden oak in the kitchen has 30+ years of age on it and is 2-3 shades darker than the door. So, I bought a 1/2 pint of Mission Oak that's designed to be used over the existing finish. One coat darkened it enough to match the old finish. I then re-installed the trim that I made originally. Small job, but it feels good to make at least a little progress.
Still have that deck outside starring me in the face. 18.5°f today, so that's my excuse for now for putting it off.

patio door copy.jpg

Last edited:
Knocked out another post-tornado project today. I've had the patio door replaced for a long time, but never got around to finishing the inside. We bought a vinyl clad door with a golden oak wood finish on the inside. The problem was the golden oak in the kitchen has 30+ years of age on it and is 2-3 shades darker than the door. So, I bought a 1/2 pint of Mission Oak that's designed to be used over the existing finish. One coat darkened it enough to match the old finish. I then re-installed the trim that I made originally. Small job, but it feels good to make at least a little progress.
Still have that deck outside starring me in the face. 18.5°f today, so that's my excuse for now for putting it off.
That looks beautiful!
I don't blame you for waiting on the deck. That temp is no good for working outside.

:thbup: Looks great!

I was planning on refinishing my deck all summer and never got to it.We will see how 2018 looks at getting it done.

Holly's grandad helped me remodel the house. He's and old retired guy that did a lot of building in his day. His favorite saying after each of these little projects
got done was, "Every little bit helps."

Making slow progress on the entry wall. I finished the first floor crown moulding tonight and hope to get the frame part of the frame and panel around the door done this weekend, barring any deversions.

foyer entrance.jpg

Got the first floor done today. Just have the switch & outlet covers left to do.
They should be here Wednesday. Then we can cross another job off the list.
Second floor may depend on the work schedule, but I sure would like to get that project done too.

foyer entrance 2sm.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back