How to fix a clogged garbage disposal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Install an electrical box and cap the wires inside the box. That way if someone wants to add back a disposal the power is available. With it capped inside a box you will be legal. You could install an outlet, being in a kitchen a GFCI would be required.

I like having a disposal though we mainly compost what we can. We're on sewers so I'm not concerned with overwhelming a septic tank with extra water and extra solids. If I was on a septic I would do without a disposal.

You have nothing to lose by pulling it out and pouring boiling water through the disposal. Work it loose with the hex key on the bottom after pouring water through it.

How do I know if it works after the boiling water?

If you can spin it freely with the hex wrench it should work. Power it up and give it a spin.

The disposal is now unattached and sitting at the bottom of the cabinet. Do I need to bring it outside to do the boiling water? Wouldn't the boiling water spill inside the cabinet and possibly scald me if this is not done correctly? What is the best way to set this up?

I think farmer John likes to pull our legs. Look at his question about a leaky toilet a month or so ago.

I think farmer John likes to pull our legs. Look at his question about a leaky toilet a month or so ago.

What about it? I fixed it by cutting the overflow tube. The valve stem still probably runs when it shouldn't. I'm not home enough to listen for it, but it's stopped leaking out of the handle.

I would not be excited about running that stuff down the drain.
You might hook it up under the sink but figure out how to plumb it to a bucket.

I would not be excited about running that stuff down the drain.
You might hook it up under the sink but figure out how to plumb it to a bucket.

Or just let it drip into one.

Google told me to add vinegar and baking soda to this solution.

These guys are dissolving molasses with milk
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCm8vWd4FAo[/ame]

They would have us believe milk will devolve it.
We will let you be the judge.

I am now the proud owner of a fully functioning garbage disposal. I combined vinegar, baking soda, boiling water, and the Allen wrench. Not sure the vinegar and baking soda were necessary.

I am now the proud owner of a fully functioning garbage disposal. I combined vinegar, baking soda, boiling water, and the Allen wrench. Not sure the vinegar and baking soda were necessary.

Nothing beats the feeling of success. I would have tossed it long ago.:trophy::thbup:

Back