Need some Beam help please.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnK119

Reaction score
I am looking into expanding our living room into a sun room. The problem I'm having is what size and type beam to use. The span will be 21feet I would like to do this myself if possible but still not sure. I've done a good bit of remodeling work but nothing of this size does anyone have any idea's on what type and size of beam to use. Thank you for your help.

Call your local engineer for this one. They know your location, and can give you the paperwork you are going to need for the building official.
And you want to be safe.

This is a diy, but you need to build temporary walls to support loads above.
Pics always help too.

Thank you I'm going to start looking some up tomorrow

Thank you I'm going to start looking some up tomorrow
The latest version of the IRC will tell you how to build this but my year 2000 edition is probably still valid for this particular task.

They could come up with a size from the IRC. However, we do not know what they are building. How many floors, what is the support, what is the exterior bracing, and what is above.....and what code they are following in their location.
With an engineer for 400 bucks , they get a correct answer instead of lots of guesswork, and the nifty piece of paper for the building official.

Let us know what you end up with, these projects are fun to watch.

Sorry for the lack of information I talked with a builder and the zoning/plans department and this is what it came out to be. The wall (21feet) to be removed is and outer wall on a one story house with a crowl space. There's a sun room extending out 10ft from this which was added by the prevouse owner. The roof of the sun room ties into the roof over the wall to be removed. We have made one little change in the size of the opening do to the addition of a closest. This will bring the opening down to 17ft. The beam size will be 22ft laminated beam 3 1/8 x 16 1/2.

The beam size will be 22ft laminated beam 3 1/8 x 16 1/2.
Can you post a drawing or photo of how the beam fits into the structure? Will it have a distributed load or several concentrated loads along its length? How many supports and where are they along the beam?

Last edited:
Well I guess when working on beams, you definitely need some experts advice. A builder's suggestion is a very good option.

Latest posts

Back