Help me make my new room AWESOME!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewTheC

Reaction score
I figured i should post this here, since it involves a few things.

Here's the background. I have a garage that's finished, and it sometimes leaks in the corners when it rains a lot. I want to raise it up some, where i'll walk in the front door where there will be a normal ground area where the closet is, and then a small set of stairs, 2 steps probably will put on me up on the actual, new floor. I just want to know what the cost of materials will be about, i have people who will do it for me free of charge.

I want it 1'2" -2' above if that works (idk if it does, i'm a construction noobie). The garage is about 20x20 feet. i think their are 4 sockets that need to be rewired, and the garage is insulated. The main thing with the price that concerns me is the flooring, but i may or may not have a solution. I want to have it carpeted anyways, so do i really need high quality flooring underneath? I mean i know it has to be strong, but i think you guys know what i mean. It's not going to be seek pretty much and i don't care how it would feel to the touch because i'm not gonna be on it.

Can you give me a rough estimate as to price? Thanks

What kind of carpet do you want ? What's this room being used for ? I don't mean to be rude, but prices probably differ all over the country. Call up a local flooring supplier or go to Lowes & get some basic sq. ftg. prices. You need a good quality pad & the cheaper the carpet you get, the quicker it's going to need replaced. Believe me - I know. But it all comes down to use. Is this a family room, game/t.v. room, man cave, or wood shop ...?

Fix the leak before you do anything. Just raising a the floor above the leak is a bad idea. Keep the water out first then design your flooring.

The room is going to be my bedroom, but since it's not your typical bedroom it'll get a lot of use. And for carpeting i mean i just want the normal kind of carpeting you'd have in a living room. Nothing fancy, don't know what it's called though. and i planned on fixing the leak before as well. Thing is i'm not just wondering the carpeting price. I'm wondering about all the framing needed, and the electrical work. And in case it helps with giving me an estimate, i'm in upstate new york.

Back