audio/video disconnect

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
I have a rather old computer (dell dimension 2300).
The only upgrades I've done to it are installed a CD & DVD writer and memory upgrade to the max of 1Gb. These mods are rather old too.
The problem that I'm having, I had for many years but, never condsidered trying to fix it.

Problem: When I watch streaming vidoe, there is a lag on the video in comparison with the audio. The long I watch, the greater the lag becomes.

Q: Which component(s) needs upgrading to resolve this issue?:confused:

I'm on cable modem and my daughters new laptop plays streaming video just fine so I'm quiet sure it's not my internet provider/connection.

Problem: When I watch streaming vidoe, there is a lag on the video in comparison with the audio. The long I watch, the greater the lag becomes.

Q: Which component(s) needs upgrading to resolve this issue?:confused:

This video
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3c1nA8JjqI[/ame]
seems to have a similar problem.

I'll have to sleep on this one. My guess without doing a Net search is that you need to install an adjustable delay line that slows whichever signal, audio or video, comes into the CRT or loudspeaker earlier.
This line could be implemented with a Surface Acoustic Wave device or other methods.
If the faster signal is the audio, the delay line bandwidth only needs to be 20 kHz or so.
This is not a Home Depot or Radio Shack item.

How much is the lag over how many minutes? Does it start out in sync?

There may be one or two Internet forums with people on it that live, eat and sleep these kind of signal processing problems.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmm; do you have an on-board video card and do you have an on-board soundcard? Yes or no for each is fine, I can troubleshoot from there with these answers. Alternately, if you DO have on-board sound or video BUT have an external PCI video or sound card please note that as well.

The video & sound card are stock with the unit.

Here's what Dell says:
Video controller - integrated Intel 3D Extreme Graphics
Audio controller - integrated audio

Any thoughts on this problem?
It's downright painful trying to watch streaming video.
From what I can tell, the audio is out-pacing the video.
The video is more like snapshots.

Back