DIY roofer?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would a 32" ladder and stabilizer be okay for one person. Do i need to stabilize the feet if it lays down on the roof?
Or should i use the scaffolding as well and put the ladder up from there?

22435.AC96CAextstabilizer_4.jpg

Use a ladder the length of the roof that hooks over the peak and use another ladder like the pic you posted to get up there. Make sure you have it on solid ground and level and find some way to tie the top to something on your first trip up, so it can't slide sideways. Good ladders have the lean angle posted on them.

Unfortunately they don't have that tool for rent or for sale. What about the scaffold, would it tip over? The tool rental guy say use a harness but i don't see how to attach it.
I might as well get the guy for $35. a hour, seems a bit high though better than breaking a vertebrae.
What about adding 1"-2" of polystyrene under the metal roof? Screws only come in 1-1/2"
That trim would have to be adjusted. I think i only have R35 on the slope now. So would it pay off the heating bill?

Last edited:
You can get longer screws.I use them all of the time to stitch the seams.You may have a hard time getting the seams apart.They should be sealed with butyl tape.

You can get longer screws.I use them all of the time to stitch the seams.You may have a hard time getting the seams apart.They should be sealed with butyl tape.

Well it's going to be sealed with elastic paint.

I'm thinking to use 1" foam with the foil on back and plastic on the front.

Would i put the foil side up? With this eliminate the heat problem? I would rather paint the roof red or green instead of white,
DuroFoam_4.jpg

A 1" foam board is going to do very little for "R" value, and if you are going to coat the roof with elastomeric, why not just have the coating tinted?

Apparently the problem is that the metal gets too hot and damages the wood roof structure with too much heat and humidity. So that is why white, maximum reflection. But with the foam it would not matter because the foam would stop the heat. So yes tint the paint would be much nicer. I'm thinking red wouldn't be much hot than brown now.
I'm not so sure another 1-2" of foam is worth my pocket book. Not sure if R values work that way, 1" of foam is surely much better than no foam. But will be 2" be twice as nice? It's another $320.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think i might have to take all the old decking wood off. Isn't simpler to do it that way? I think this is old barn wood that was never kiln dried. That sound about right?

I take it foam sheet could not be installed under shingles? So another benefit of a steal roof.

Found some 3' shingle nails but not 3" screws, I guess nails might be easier but a little tricky no to over hammer.

Last edited:
Apparently the problem is that the metal gets too hot and damages the wood roof structure with too much heat and humidity. So that is why white, maximum reflection. But with the foam it would not matter because the foam would stop the heat. So yes tint the paint would be much nicer. I'm thinking red wouldn't be much hot than brown now.
I'm not so sure another 1-2" of foam is worth my pocket book. Not sure if R values work that way, 1" of foam is surely much better than no foam. But will be 2" be twice as nice? It's another $320.

Metal gets hot and the heat damages the old roofing below. moisture from in the house and lack of venting rots the wood.

Hook ladders are illegal here. I can see why too, ladders are not designer for that kind of torque.(seems to be illegal the USA too...
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3117379/2

12' Scaffolding and 32' fiber ladder should be safe as christmas. The ladder can intersect with the scaffolding and lay on the roof.

1" duro foam, foil up, over the decking should solve a lot of problems, yes/no?:

- heat problem of the metal damaging the decking
- expansion problem, when the metal expanse the foam will take it
- leak problem, reusing the panels might be leaky
- r value problem, improves insulation value
- flatten out any dips or imperfections

Seems a lot of people like metal roofs. I don't see why i should spend $1000's for a new roof or new shingles when i can paint this one over, add some insulation and it is all the better.
On the other hand a lot of people don't like metal roofs and will see the exposed ridge fasteners and run away...:hide:

Do i need to cover the foam sheet with osb sheet or can the roofing sit right on the foil back? Melt?

Last edited:
Back