Canadian Holidays.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

So Nestor, do you guys observe April Fools.
Any body have anyhting they're planning?

Yes, April 1 is April Fools day here in Canada too.

I'm going to phone up some travel agents and ask about cruise ship tours to Australia or South Africa.

Then I'll tell them that when I was in the US Navy during WWII, it was a navy tradition that whenever a sailor crossed the equator for the first time, they had to jump overboard into the water. But, when that happened off the coast of Africa in August of '44, we were pursuing a German submarine, so we couldn't stop, and so no one jumped in the water.

So, now I want to make things right by jumping off the boat when I cross the equator this time.

Then I'll ask about any senior's discounts (cuz if I was 21 in 1944, I'd be 88 now.)

That should be fun.

I think our next actual holiday is Easter Sunday, which happens next Sunday.

Last edited:
I think I am going to wake up early and turn off the power to the house.
And make sure I get my shower first......:rofl:

Nestor, Where you in WW2? I'm working so I might try to find some way to mess with people. It's a kitchen so it has to be limited.

Funetical:

No, I was born in 1956, so I'll be 54 soon.

I was in the big one, the Cold War. (1949 to 2001).

... but they can't tell nuthin over the phone.

Nestor, tell the travel agent that you have a vison defect, you suffer from night blindness and you have a seeing eye bat that you only use during nite time hours. Tell them you are afraid of falling overboard and you are curious as to what kind of accomadations they have to handle your handicap. If they give you any grief state the disabled and handi-cap laws, I'm sure Canada has some, if you don't we'll send you some. We have to many laws now and we wouldn't miss one or twenty.

Maybe I'll make up a whole bunch of signs like this and post them all around Winnipeg for the benefit of the tourists.

YouAreHere.JPG

Sign on coffee shop or restaurant door:

Boyfriend_Dumping.JPG

APPROVED BOYFRIEND DUMPING SITE

Nestor, did things thaw out up there yet? Will you be celebrating April Fools Day in shorts or will you be wearing your muck-lucks?

Oldog/Newtrick:

Kinda half way in between. I had to drive to St. James today (which is a district of Winnipeg). I took a coat, but left it in the trunk the whole trip there and back.

It rained all day yesterday, and the rain melted a lot of the remaining snow, and it's sunny here today. We're kind of at the turning point of Spring.

Spring has finally sprung here in middle Tenn. Bradford Pears are blooming and all the trees are ready to leaf out. Spring flowers are up and I cannot begin to tell you how good 75degs at 6:15 in the evening feels. It was a long winter here.

Oh, man.

You can grow pears there?

I don't think there's any kind of fruit that you buy in a grocery store that actually grows here, except blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. I don't know if tomatos are officially a vegetable or a fuit, but they grow here too. I guess that maybe part of the reason why is that these are all small shrubs that can make do with a short growing season. We don't have any fruit TREES tho.

I'm sure 75 deg F. in the early evening feels great, but I'm thinking you might also get 110 deg. F in an August afternoon that might be hard to live with?

Yea...wellll....things are finally starting to thaw out up around here too....:rofl:

mud.jpg

Yeah, I was watching Fox News from Rochester, New York, and they were saying that there was a lot of flooding happening in the North East.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/weather/04/01/northeast.flood.fears/

Boy, first you guys get some of the heaviest snow falls in living memory, now the heaviest rains in living memory. "Weather" really is the average of extremes.

Last edited:
Oh, man.

You can grow pears there?

I'm sure 75 deg F. in the early evening feels great, but I'm thinking you might also get 110 deg. F in an August afternoon that might be hard to live with?

Bradford Pears are a ornamental spring flowering tree that bear no fruit, but are white till they loose their blooms and leaf out. They are really spectacular when you have a street lined with them.

100 and humidity to match does test the soul in the summer, thats for sure. Thats when we all sit around on the porch and sip Mint Julips and say ya'll a lot.

100 and humidity to match does test the soul in the summer, thats for sure. Thats when we all sit around on the porch and sip Mint Julips and say ya'll a lot.

Say "Ya'll"?

So, when ya'll want to refer to another group of people, do you say "they'all"?

Last edited:
Why do I get the sense that this sign was put up by the government at taxpayer's expense:

Not-so-sharp.JPG

Latest posts

Back