Overhang Damage Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreePercenter

Reaction score
While out on my front patio this past week, I noticed what looked like a small paint flake on the upper flashing of the overhang. I discovered the paint flake was a hole into a carpenter ant nest. I ripped out the flashing as well as all of the damaged/rotted wood. There are two planks that run from the front post to the side of the house. I assume these are load bearing. One of the planks was damaged enough that the remainder of it will definitely need to be removed. The other is in decent shape. The damage/rot doesn’t appear to extend to far ends of planks, so I don’t believe the ants made it to other sections of the overhang.

My questions are:

1. How long are the planks? Do they extend into the house to provide load bearing for the second floor?
2. Not knowing the building codes, can/should the planks be removed without worrying about any structural issues that may cause inside the house?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 7.JPG

Is there a window above the area of rot?
Is there a boxed beam detail on the inside of the home where these headers are?
No, do not eliminate them, they are structural.
Can we get a pic that's not so close to the problem, so we can see the big picture, so to speak?

As suggested stand back stan back about twenty feet and snap a photo, From the little we can see it does not appear to be stuctural, either way the either go into the house the thickness of the wall or are sitting in a hanger on the outside. Was the roof of the house structured with engineered trusses or hand framed.

Thank you for the responses. I attached additional non close up photos. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

1. How long are the planks? Do they extend into the house to provide load bearing for the second floor? Most likely resting on the top plate if no beam appears inside. I think the column closest to the house may be decorative.
2. Not knowing the building codes, can/should the planks be removed without worrying about any structural issues that may cause inside the house? Yes these can be removed without causing problems inside but, you will have to tear down the entire porch.

A lot of work to replace the beams but, it can be done. They are there to support the roof structure of the porch.

The vinyl soffet inside can be pushed and pulled untill you expose the screws and take a section out. If the porch was hand framed there is an outside chance this is holding upo the ceiling inside. Not likely but best to know for sure. If you finding the soffet is attached to strapping that is nailed to the ceiling joist or rafters, you are good to go.
This timber should only be holding up the little wall above it. the wall will be attached to the roof but the beem is not carrying anything of the roof'
You will want to remove the siding on that little wall and see what's happening up there. If you want to start at the bottom of the siding you will need a siding zipper tool.

Back