New Drill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasman

Reaction score
Finally getting myself a new drill been using a 9.6 volt Dewalt for over 10 years. Gonna go with a Dewalt again it was a great drill my question is should i go with 14.4 volt or 18 volt. Mainly gonna use it around the house nothing heavy duty at all. Any input is welcome. Thanks for the help.

Personally, I'd go with the one with more power. I bought an 18volt dewalt about 3 months ago, and love it. Check with Amazon. It came with 2 batteries and charger for $119.00. The 14.4v may work fine for you, but it never hurts to have a little more muscle. Good luck

I own 2 18v DeWalt drills one is about 8 years old the other is 2. I have never found a fault in either of them. Tons of power, good weight and a great feel. I also own a 14.4 that I use at work. It takes alot of abuse, drilling through steel and concrete. Another awesome tool, however, it is an XRP model and quite a bit heavier duty than the standard.
Personally, though. I would go with the 18v unit.

Well went to lowes and got a new toy. Dewalt 18 Volt its great only $200 not too bad. Since i went with 18 volt i plan to add onto it and get more tools that work off the 18 volt system next comes impact wrench. Also got a new set of drill bits. Thanks again for the advice.

The House (12).jpg

The House (13).jpg

Last edited:
I would just go with a 14.4 volt. 18 v is good for heavy gauge use. ie drilling into hard steel. I always use dewalt and for around the house 14.4 is what I use. Enjoy the new tool. Every man loves new toys.

For around the house I would just get a 14.4 but yes a lil more muscle is always nice too. I own both 14.4 and 18 and 14.4 is plenty enough power for around the house. Enjoy the new toy

Surprised they didn't try to talk you into the new Lithium Ion drills. Much longer lasting and more power. I had a DeWalt 14.4 for use around the house for about 10 yrs and when I recently went to replace the batteries I had a hard time finding them. The Ni-Cd are becoming dinosaurs. When I did find them I was going to have to pay near $100 for one. I ended up just getting a lithium ion Milwaukee. Wow. What a difference!

Guess I am the skunk in this wood pile. My 18V DeWalt just work itself out. I went for the Makita "black & white" combo pack with drill and impact driver. The batteries recharge in maybe 15 minutes and the power beats the old DeWalt technology.

Just heard today that Makita is selling brushless drills . . . less friction and more power.

Think twice before re-upping with DeWalt.

Latest posts

Back