Ceramic tile floor squeaks after roof leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveWWW

Reaction score
We had our kitchen re-floored with ceramic tile 6 month ago. New plywood underlay, etc. Screwed down. The floor person was careful to make sure all squeaks were gone.

We're having our roof replaced (along with the plywood). They had to stop due to snow/rain, but tarped everything. Unfortunately, yesterday the tarp partially blew off, and snow melted at the top of the roof, entering the structure inside the walls, into the top of the patio doors area (around the framing), and in our kitchen, behind and in cabinet, etc.

It wasn't a huge amount of water. But now our new kitchen floor squeaks and creaks terribly. I don't think enough time has elapsed to dry everything out (it's been about 24 hours). Is this squeaking now permenent, or will it disappear after the house dries out?

It wasn't a huge amount of water. But now our new kitchen floor squeaks and creaks terribly. I don't think enough time has elapsed to dry everything out (it's been about 24 hours). Is this squeaking now permenent, or will it disappear after the house dries out?

If we could answer that question we would be picking Power Ball numbers this week. Really hard to tell at this point. I would suggest contacting the roofing contractor and having him make his insurance company aware of a potential claim against his liability insurance.

Oh, and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Olddog is right hard to tell it could have traveled down and got into we're the floor is and made it swell.
Or?....... Its just a crazy coincidence that the floor wasn't screwed down correctly like what size screws how corse the threads were ect.

What type of screws, was it glued, etc are all big questions. The gap needed to cause a squeak is sometimes so small you can't even see it move while staring directly at it. Speaking of staring at it...can you see the floor joists below, or is it finished?

Was the ply staggered the right way as well we can go on all day lol

DaveWWW said:
We had our kitchen re-floored with ceramic tile 6 month ago. New plywood underlay, etc. Screwed down. The floor person was careful to make sure all squeaks were gone.

We're having our roof replaced (along with the plywood). They had to stop due to snow/rain, but tarped everything. Unfortunately, yesterday the tarp partially blew off, and snow melted at the top of the roof, entering the structure inside the walls, into the top of the patio doors area (around the framing), and in our kitchen, behind and in cabinet, etc.

In the summer the squeaks tend to go away because of the wood subfloor expanding

Latest posts

Back