Self Venting Fan Needed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdcondogirl

Reaction score
Hi. Glad to run across your forum! I have just purchased a beautiful 1923 Foursquare that is all brick with a concrete tile roof. The previous inspector recommended a bath fan for the upstairs master bath. Being all brick, I would rather not go out the side to ventilate nor the roof. Is there a self-venting option similar to that of a microwave fan??
Looking forward to suggestions! Thanks!

Welcome to the site. The kitchen fan runs thru a charcoal filter to take particles out of the air. The bathroom fan removes water vapours so there is no shortcut. It need to vent out. Best if it exits the roof with an insulated duct thru the attic. A roof that does tile roofs could cut the hole for you.

Oldog just suggested the soffit which can be done but can creat other problems. The soffit allows air into the attic so with a vent out there part of the soffit has to be sealed so moisture can't enter.

Last edited:
Moist air cannot be vented into the attci for a lot of good reasons: mold, rot, etc. I had a house in VA where I used a side vent in the brick wall that looked like a louvered cover (period look). You might consider something which is architectural to the look of your house and allows side venting from the bathroom without making a mess of the outside look.

Good luck! :D

Back