Outlets not working...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuba

Reaction score
I have 5 outlets that I can't get to work in my basement on the north side..the south side outlets all work..I have tripped the fuses and reset the other out let's nothing is working....any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Home Repair

You want to be looking for a gfi outlet among those five or elsewhere like the bathroom garage or even outside. It will have test and reset button between the two plug-in in an outlet
When a breaker trips, they are sometimes hard to find, they have to be clicked off before they will reset.

If you find the upstream GFCI, make a note because you will probably be doing this exercise again.

GFCIs open the hot and neutral conductor so if there is still power to the short slot or still continuity between the long slot and ground then it is likely some other problem.

If no GFCI and if it's backstabbed outlets you could put a light in one outlet and then push on each of the other outlets with your thumb while looking for the light to flicker, then repeat for each outlet, 20 tests in all.

But, the bad connection could be at a working outlet just upstream of this string that feeds this string. So it helps to know which outlet is upstream of which (the outlet at the end will have only one cable in its box).

Last edited:
I recently went through this with my mobile home. Whichever outlet is closest to the breaker box, open it up and test for power. If neither pair in back have power, then check for a blown out circuit breaker. While you are in the breaker box, make sure ALL the connections are tight and corrosion-free. The house fire you prevent WILL be your own! If you don't know how to do it, then hire an electrician. I learned how at 6 years old watching my dad (MHRIP) because we grew up on a farm and you didn't have $$ to hire someone. If it wasn't an emergency, you read up on it and figured out how to do it.

If you remove the panel cover, IMHO arc-flash is more of a danger than shock.

Latest posts

Back