Paint selection help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxicottin

Reaction score
Hello, I just had someone fix the cracks in my plaster walls and a few holes also, I had them tear down the old plaster ceilings and hang up drywall. Now I need to prime and paint and needed help on selecting a brand and do I apply the same primer to the spots that was fixed on my plaster walls as the drywall ceilings or do I use two diferent things? I would like to apply the primer over the entire wall if possible.

Thanks!
Chad

Put primer where you will paint over. This keeps the color the same. I always use a stain blocker paint such as Zinnsinger or Kilz. The water based will do fine for interior walls.
Happy painting.:D

I only use stain blocking primers when I have trouble spots. Personally I have had pretty good results with various brands of PVA Drywall primer. Sherwin Williams has one, it has a 200 in the name if I remember correctly. Have used stuff from Home Depot that didn't have Behr in the name that was fine. Have also used PVA primer from Benjamin Moore.

As for finish paint - Use the best paint you can afford. Benjamin Moore is tops for sure. Behr is junk (from personal experience and TONS of feedback from pros and non-pros)

I want to primer all the walls and ceilings so would I use a drywall primer like kilz. I have several spots that was fixed with drywall compound on the plaster so will it be ok to cover the entire wall instead of just spots? Thanks!

Yes - Kilz, BIN or other Shellac based primer or a PVA primer like I recommended will be fine for covering old and new.

Back