Basement Repairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

designer

Reaction score
I am beginning to finish my basement and I have noticed that there is a slightly red film with a coppery odor in my basement. Can this be hazardous or is it an accumulation of dirt and etc over the years that we have never even entered into the basement?

If there is an odor to the dust/dirt then I would honestly call someone to have that checked out. It may be residual dust but you wouldn't want to take that risk.

Is it a concrete foundation or what? No type of dust can be called good for you, but some are worse than others. Wet-cleaning is probably safer than vacuum, but if you have a lot of micro-filter bags, the dust will be contained, more or less. Contaminants on the dust (like hanta-virus) could well be blown airborne though..

A bleach and water spray is not a bad plan if you want to kill micro organisms. THat won't stop an intrinsically toxic dust from being toxic though, and if your dust is (let's take a worst case scenario) from tailings at the mine or something, then you don't want to handle it yourself.

What colour is the dirt around your house?

Back