Carpet cleaner motor spearking. Opinions please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbacker

Reaction score
I have a Hoover carpet cleaner that is 1 1/2 years old (warranty was for 1 year :mad: ) and yesterday my wife was going to clean the carpets. The machine ahs run perfectly in the past. Anyway, she turned it on, pulled the handle back and saw a lot of sparks where the motor sits, and there was a burning smell. She turned it off, unplugged it and awaited till I got home.

Today I put it up on the bench and started taking it apart. Lots of pictures to guide me in putting it back together. Anyway, when I got to the motor, it seemed fine, so I plugged it in and turned it on from a distance. Sure enough, lots of sparks from the carbon brushes contacting the armature. I pulled the brushes (lots of material left) and noticed that they were chipped on the leading edge. The armature surface is scratched and silvery. Not a smooth surface at all.

What could cause this problem? Could it be a manufacturer defect (even after all this time?) Should I inquire on replacing the motor? Is it worth it? I could net get decent photo's of the armature, but I attached some of the brushes.

Any opinions on this, and where to go would be apprecaited. Thanks.

Brushes.jpg

Armature.jpg

I have a tablesaw that has done the same thing. If I cut treated wood or any wood that has not fully dried after a rain or whatever, the brushes get wet and get sticky. Then the springs can't overcome the mess and I end up with a motor that won't even start.

Replace the brushes if they can't be cleaned. They may look like they have plenty of material left, but the springs may not be able to keep pressure with what's left. Also, clean the brush guides (the brushes have to be able to move freely) and rub the armature's contact surface with a fine sandpaper to smooth the surface. Put it back together and see if it works. If it works just for a little while, the brushes may need replacing or there may be more water getting in there than needs be.

Thanks. I removed the carbon brushes and sanded them down (removed the chipped edges) until it was a nice clean surface. I sanded the armature carefully and it looks pretty good. Nice and clean. I reassembled the motor, and same thing happened. Sparks flying from one of the brushes. Will new brushes make a difference? They are $20.00/pair and I do not wish to waste money on this. Would a new brush make a difference from a cleaned up and smooth old brush. The spring pressure is good. Lots of resistance, and it is the same on both of them. Any further advice would be great. Thanks.

It may be a short in the armature. There are ways to test it. I'm not a motor guy, I'm not going to risk telling you something and not helping,, possibly even get you hurt.

If you can get the motor out of the housing, take it to an electrical motor shop. They can test it there and maybe get your replacement parts cheaper.

I've had a ton of circular saws die on jobs and I sometimes wonder if maybe a staple or a nail has gotten into the windings. Either way, it's time to get ready to spend some $$.

Back