Help Please - Leaking Bathroom Faucet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If, like you mentioned, a washer came out in pieces it must be replaced. Also, if I'm reading this correctly the water is leaking from around the base of the cartridge. If the cartridge was bad, the water would be dripping from the spout when it should be off.

I'm curious how much the two cartridges cost, plus whatever you still need to repair this faucet vs. the cost of a new faucet. I know the installation of a new faucet is pretty straightforward and relatively easy.
It's not like a normal washer, it is that blue ring on the bottom of the new one.

Reactions: m4p
If, like you mentioned, a washer came out in pieces it must be replaced. Also, if I'm reading this correctly the water is leaking from around the base of the cartridge. If the cartridge was bad, the water would be dripping from the spout when it should be off.

I'm curious how much the two cartridges cost, plus whatever you still need to repair this faucet vs. the cost of a new faucet. I know the installation of a new faucet is pretty straightforward and relatively easy.

No, it was leaking from the spout. I ended up removing the hot water cartridge that I had just installed. Then I cleaned up a ton of gunk that was in the ring of the brass where I'm assuming the o-ring of the cartridge would sit.

Now I'm trying to replace the cold side cartridge. However, the valve body (?) keeps turning when I try to remove the cartridge. I tried some liquid wrench but no luck. Of course I managed to twist the faucet's cold side water hose all up. I disconnected the hose and put it back on correctly. But the cartridge is still stuck. I'm hoping when my husband gets home from work, he can hold the valve body (maybe from below) and then I can try to unscrew the cartridge.

This project is turning out an abysmal failure. The cartridges cost $50. I think that plus all the time and frustration would have been better spent on a plumber. That's what I get for being hard headed :(

(picture not mine but shows the problem)

StuckCartridge.jpg

On the other hand, you've learned a lot and will be better prepared for the next time.:thbup:

Sadly, I don't think there's going to be another time. My husband was able to get the cartridge out. So I put the new one in and I'm all happy. Then I turned the water back on....

There is barely any water pressure from either the hot or the cold. So I looked underneath the sink, and it appears it's leaking from the T thing that the hoses hook into.

And of course my husband is now doing the I told you so thing, saying I should have listened to him and got a plumber in the first place (says the man who is not handy. He tried to fix the clothes washer one time and backed up into a pipe and broke the pipe).

Anyway, thanks so much for sticking with me through this ordeal :(

Sadly, I don't think there's going to be another time. My husband was able to get the cartridge out. So I put the new one in and I'm all happy. Then I turned the water back on....

There is barely any water pressure from either the hot or the cold. So I looked underneath the sink, and it appears it's leaking from the T thing that the hoses hook into.

And of course my husband is now doing the I told you so thing, saying I should have listened to him and got a plumber in the first place (says the man who is not handy. He tried to fix the clothes washer one time and backed up into a pipe and broke the pipe).

Anyway, thanks so much for sticking with me through this ordeal :(

In the video in post 39 , he talks about taking it out and going to the store and having them remove it because they are installed to tight. starts about 200 in the video.

Reactions: m4p
In the video in post 39 , he talks about taking it out and going to the store and having them remove it because they are installed to tight. starts about 200 in the video.

Thanks, Neal. I did see that part (after I'd already twisted the supply line, like he said might happen. We were able to remove the cartridge. First I undid the supply line and let it hang temporarily. Then my husband was able to hold the valve and turn the cartridge to remove it. That part went fine.

However, when we were all done, the water pressure from both hot and cold were very low, and there was dripping under the sink, which seemed to be coming from the hot water supply line. We undid the supply line and reconnected it. Still leaking.

Coincidently, my brother in law is fixing up a house that's one street over from us, and of all things, his plumber is scheduled to go do some work there today. So the plumber is going to come to our house when he's done. We've had this same plumber do other work for us in the past (like when my husband broke a pipe) and he's great.

Makes me wonder how many jobs plumbers get from homeowners messing up :p

Well guys, it's finally done, finished, finito! Plumber showed up a few minutes after noon and left at around one.

He said it was a shame, because I was so close, but it wasn't anything I did (I asked him if it was my fault it was leaking under the sink).

He replaced the water lines, had to adjust the valve seat or whatever that brass thing is that the cartridge goes into. Evidently when I was having my husband tighten it, it raised it up. It also did all kinds of other adjustments (at that point, I didn't want to seem like I was breathing down his neck, but I did ask him lots of questions).

Then he caulked around the sink, and that was that.

A big part, or maybe the whole reason, for the low water pressure was the horribly clogged up aerator. My husband had tried to get it off, but didn't want to totally ruin in. So the plumber was able to get it off, and cleaned out the aerator and pressure was normal again.

Lesson learned I guess. Next time get a new faucet and hire a plumber to install it :D

Oh, by the way, did I tell you I have a drip from my kitchen faucet.......:rofl:

I want to thank all of you for all the help, insight and support throughout this fun project.

Well guys, it's finally done, finished, finito! Plumber showed up a few minutes after noon and left at around one.

He said it was a shame, because I was so close, but it wasn't anything I did (I asked him if it was my fault it was leaking under the sink).

He replaced the water lines, had to adjust the valve seat or whatever that brass thing is that the cartridge goes into. Evidently when I was having my husband tighten it, it raised it up. It also did all kinds of other adjustments (at that point, I didn't want to seem like I was breathing down his neck, but I did ask him lots of questions).

Then he caulked around the sink, and that was that.

A big part, or maybe the whole reason, for the low water pressure was the horribly clogged up aerator. My husband had tried to get it off, but didn't want to totally ruin in. So the plumber was able to get it off, and cleaned out the aerator and pressure was normal again.

Lesson learned I guess. Next time get a new faucet and hire a plumber to install it :D

Oh, by the way, did I tell you I have a drip from my kitchen faucet.......:rofl:

I want to thank all of you for all the help, insight and support throughout this fun project.

I am glad you think it was fun. I think we all learned a little too.
In the kitchen, don't force anything just get a bigger hammer.:trophy:

Latest posts

Back