What's under my linoleum

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
We have an older house, I believe it was built in the late 40s. The living room on the main floor is all hardwood flooring. The next room (kitchen/dinning room) is vinyl hardwood over top linoleum. I peeled back some of the flooring, but I'm having a hard time telling if this is part of the hardwood flooring, or was it plywood for the linoleum?

IMG_20170702_162129371.jpg

Kind of looks like a plywood underlay. Best place to look. Is inside a heat vent. Should show you the cross section of flooring.

I was thinking that too. I have radiant heat so no cross section

If you plan to re-floor the space, you could always drill a hole in an indiscreet corner, then plug it after you're done with the information gathering.

Looks like rice to me.

Ohhh, I guess you mean the floor under the rice. Well, if it is hardwood it won't matter because you will have one helluva time removing the cutback adhesive. You should probably hope that it is plywood since you may have to remove it and replace.

Looks like some one ripped up paper backed vinyl, and that looks like plywood, the plywood will be covering the stuff you don't really want to mess with.

If that is cutback, I can't tell from the picture, it contains asbestos.

Oh, my God, the op is probably already dead:hide::rofl::)

You don't think they should be aware that they need to be careful how they remove it?:confused: Or are just a jerk?

Latest posts

Back