My latest project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky617

Reaction score
I've been searching for a new desk for the home office without much success. I wanted something that could handle multiple monitors for my work PC and home PC. Commercially made ones tended to be particle board with a thin laminate covering. They're kind of OK until you go to move them. So I'm building my own. I made it from unfinished oak flooring over a plywood base. It now has three coats of poly. Next up is working on the underside and accessory pieces to hold the computer and cable modem and some storage. Also a cable management system.

desk with finish.jpg

Desktop in progress.jpg

desktop without finish.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great.:thbup: I made my sister a top for her chopping block that way almost 50 years ago. it is still holding up.

Nice project.
I went down the same road several years ago. Went to all the local office supply stores and none had what I was looking for. Mine also is a corner unit. Building takes a little time, but at least when done you have exactly what you want.

It could use a good going through. It's been there about 15 years and every drawer is packed with stuff, 1/2 of which could probably be thrown out. :hide:

DESK.jpg

Last edited:
amazing work. I'm getting reading ready to build mine. wont be near as fancy as yours for 2 reasons 1 you have a lot more room 2 your a hell of a lot better carpenter than i am.

Back