Replacing Weatherstrips-But can't find them

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD_King

Reaction score
I need to replace the weatherstrips on my double hung windows because they are not tight anymore, but I am not able to find the right ones.

I also need some advice on how I can tight my entry door.
The door is not tighten enough on the deadbolts. There is always a gap and therefore there is a draft.

Thank you for your help.

bild050f.jpg

bild059m.jpg

bild061f.jpg

I need to replace the weatherstrips on my double hung windows because they are not tight anymore, but I am not able to find the right ones.

I also need some advice on how I can tight my entry door.
The door is not tighten enough on the deadbolts. There is always a gap and therefore there is a draft.

Thank you for your help.
Hello Mad_King, the trim around the door can be replaced. Most stores like Home Depot carry replacement strips, they are sold in 84" lengths and come in either bronze or white. You can pull out the old starting at the top, use pliers to grab onto it, and slowly pull. Over time the weatherstrip will compress and no longer bounce back. I would do this first, because the next suggestion might be a little too involved when it cold outside

In reference to the issue with the gap at the locks. You would need to remove the trim on the inside & outside, then loosen the screws near the lock side so they no longer go into the stud. Once you have done this then you can place shims between the jamb & the studs, to push the jamb closer to the door. Ideally you want a uniform gap from the top of the door down to the bottom. If there is only a gap where the locks are, then the screws in that area were tighten too much thus pulling the door jamb away from the door latch.

Do you know who is the maker of the windows? If you have a sample of what you need, then you can search "images" in Google for weatherstripping. Another suggestion is to search Google for Blaine Hardware, they carry door & windows parts that are hard to find, if they don't have it, they might know who does, I've had a lot of good feedback from people that I have sent there.

I added a picture below from Blaine's website, it shows some of the different weatherstripping, there are more styles available (BTW, I don't not own or work for them).

WSDH.jpg

~Tangelo

wow. Thank you very much for your response.
I will try first the weatherstrip replacement and then adjusting the strike plates.
I'll keep my results posted here.

I don't know the manufacturer of the windows. The strips fell like velvet or fur

Here are some pictures of the strips on the windows:

bild062.jpg

bild063b.jpg

Last edited:
the weatherstripping is $4.47 at Home Depot sku 597-463

Thank you but this strip does not fit in the window and looks totally different. I think this is the one for the door.
Home depot does not have this kind of weatherstrip for the window. I took my digi cam with and showed them the pictures.

Good picture action!.....Very helpful.

The weatherstripping that Tangelo described is for the door unit.
If the new weatherstrip doesn't close up door draft you will
probably have to move the latch strike plate closer to the weatherstripping
to snug up door.....After you do that one you will probably have to
move the deadbolt strikes also....Hopefully the new weatherstrip will solve
the problem.

Might try a local glass shop for window weatherstrip.

Back