Tenants leave behind so many things

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you are so lucky! I can't be too surprised though. I am one of those people that have left a lot behind when I moved. I was going through a hard time about 3 years ago and decided to move. I left two beds behind meaning everything on it: mattresses and bed frames and comforter. I left a vanity, a maybe an couch. I was ready for a new beginning. Meaning leaving just about everything behind.

I just recently moved out of my old room (I am renting a new house closer to my place of work), and it turns out that there was a huge closet of clothes in the attic I never got around to cleaning.

Too bad none of them fit me!

What an awesome thread!

I've only found toys when I've moved into new places. Never anything of value, only kids stuff.

I looked a house a while ago, the people bought a nice house with new hardwood floors and crown molding and new paint inside.
When they went to move in they found no furniture or pictures had been removed for painting and there was no hardwood under where the beds were.:eek:

They just laid the floor around the bed?

That seems like more trouble than it's worth.

They didn't just fill in the missing spots?

I would have liked to have seen a pic of the missing boards.

It looked like they had water beds on a platform, the buyers weren't going to accept the house never mind a patched floor.

Makes sense now. Waterbeds are a tough things to move around, let alone deconstruct then reconstruct.

With my company, we get called to remove waterbeds and it's the little things that become a nuisance, i.e., draining the bed before you even get into removing it.

I am a girl, I am not sure if that makes a difference but I used to love it when people left stuff in their apartments because I would get $50 bucks a month off my rent to remove it by either putting it in the apartment dumpster or by hauling it off.
Most of the time it was the easiest thing to do and I usually made a couple hundred extra a month by selling cheap the items at Swap n shop (for those of you not familair in KC we have a drive-in (movie) where you can go on Saturdays and sundays (duing the day) and sell stuff) the rest of the stuff I would list on KC freecycle and like Erin said people will come pick up anything if its free.
Freecycle can also be valuable if you are looking for certain stuff. Perhaps TxBuilder could find some leftie golf clubs that way as you can put up ads for wanted things too.
On the bad side of clearing apartments there are always those who are just plain gross and leave an apartment full of filth and trash.
I can see where being an apartment manager/landlord can lead to headaches if you are constantly having to deal with people leaving stuff behind for you to deal with.

Neal, that is funny what you said about them not painting behind the pictures. One day after I moved in with my mom I was removing the pictures and dusting and found she had not painted under any of the pictures!
OMG I was like Mom what the heck?! She was like well I was doing it by myself and... To this day there is still a 2"x2" area that my mom puts a pillow in front of that is not painted. This is because the color paint she used is no longer made and she refuses to let me paint the room a color similiar. Thankfully, when I found out the pictures had not been painted under she still had a little of the paint which is why there is only the small area left.
I cannot imagine not removing the pictures when painting though WHY?! Ahhh

So you could see the original color of the house?

How did she paint without getting the paint on the picture?

Well, I guess she did it very carefully. It seems it would have been easier to remove them and then paint. My mom thinks weird.

Here is the strangest one I have seen in a while. We have been looking at some short sale properties and they are basic nice homes that have sat at least one year and the north east winters sitting without heat have been hard on them. One day we looked at one and it was mostly cleaned out except in one bedroom closet there was a 20 pound dumbbell. We laughed when we saw it and made some joke about it being too heavy to take along. About a week later we were in a different house about five miles away and open a closet and low and behold there is another 20 pound dumbbell. We have a bid in on that house now dumbbell and all. I asked the realtor if he would throw in the other so we would have a set.

The first house was a much nicer house and a good price but had a crawl space and a major black mold problem. That’s not something you want to find for free. The one we have a bid in on has about enough free stuff to fill a good size dumpster and that’s where it’s going if we get the place.

So Bud, did they throw in the dumbbell?

I was thinking the same thing. I've thought about leaving behind a weight set once or twice.

You buy it thinking you'r gong to lift, but it ends up being one more heavy thing you have to take with you when you move.

The guy that owned the house we are trying to get was upside down about eight different ways. I’m surprised someone wasn’t owed money still on the dumbbell. He applied for all kinds of special loans thru the government and they all ended up getting lumped together well most did thru a bank in Ca. the local township also got stuck with one and last night was their meeting to see if they would forgive it to at least get someone back in the house paying taxes. I will tell you how bad it is and keeping with the thread here he had a yard sale last summer and when we got the mid-January thaw we saw he still had all the yard sale stuff on the front yard under 2 feet of snow. I’m assuming that goes with the house also. The one find beside the dumbbell that looks like it might be ok is in the basement there is a cement mixer pretty good size and I haven’t a clue how it got down there as the drum is larger than the basement door. I was told they made lawn art things down there. Also included are a dozen bags of ready mix that are now turned into boulders. Those go to the dumpster.

So one of the two dumbbells goes with the house the other one I will have to let stay in the black mold house for now.

I remember hearing only in America do we install a garage door opener and then fill the garage with weight lifting equipment.

If we get the house I’m sure we will find a few more items to report back on as the garage was so full we had a hard time looking at the structure.

Are there a lot of foreclosures in your area?

Anything good in the abandoned yard sale?

Are there a lot of foreclosures in your area?

Anything good in the abandoned yard sale?

There is afair amount of foreclosures, but most are handled responsibly and kept up untila sale. With the market down and lending hard to get even though they aresometimes going cheap the banks want a cash sale and even though someone thatneeds a home might be able to get what was a 100k house for 20k they don’t havethe 20k. it’s crazy the house will sit a year or two and these winters arereally hard on them. The one we are looking at the value was so low it wasn’t worththe bank wasting money on a foreclosure and it was in the best interest of theowner to not have that on his record so they just tell him you must sell it andget nothing. In his case he owed utilities so much everything was shut off ayear ago. He has nothing to gain keeping it up as he knows he won’t get anythingout of the sale. The bank advertised it as a quick sale, but they found he owedthe township money and they have a lien on the property that they are willingto forgive but they only meet once a month and every time they meet they needto look into something and then it takes another month. It’s stuff like this iswhy no one wants to mess around buying these places. We looked at one nicehouse the power was turned off the sump pump was under water and the high watermark was half way up the furnace. The furnace, A/C and hot water looked likethey were brand new, now junk.

As to thejunk in the yard sale it might have been ok if it didn’t set out in the snowall winter. Bunch of electronic games and such. There is a cast concreteelephant that’s painted pink that held up. That has to be worth some money.hehe

Latest posts

Back