Tuck pointing questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttinman23

Reaction score
gentlemen, Tomorrow I'm gonna grind out about a 5/8" depth of mortar around the whole furnace chimney, so I can have the same color mortar all around......Since this is my first chimney mortar repair I have been on youtube trying to educate myself.....I bought a grout bag as it looks like it is the easiest way to go. My question is how thick should the mortar be? How long before I start pushing the mortar in with tool or stick? and when is the appropriate time to use a brush to get loose mortar off that may have fallen onto the bricks?

I'm of no help here. I bought two grout bags to point my new brickwork last week and when the cement stuck in the bag, I gut frustrated and ended up using my own hands. I sure wouldn't recommend this for a big job though!

i like canvas grout bags as, imo, the vinyl 1's suck,,, they never seem to 'break in',,, if your mortar's sticking in the bag, add s'more cement,,, never understood why 5/8" was what the op was grinding out,,, hopefully he was VERY careful IF he used a diamond blade to not damage brick

thickness of mortar is what it needs to be to properly do the work :D you squeeze the mortar into the cleaned open jnt then finish w/jointing tool quick as you can - i tool after every 2 or 3 bags,,, you'll know soon enough on your mortar,,, same w/brushing altho i prefer a small fiber scrub brush

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back