Concerned about mold after leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adarnell

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions,
If a wall gets wet one time, the leak is fixed and a couple holes have been cut into the wall at the top and bottom; with fans placed in front of the holes on the bottom and an in room A/C running continually, should the sheetrock still be removed? Is there any concern of mold for this one occurrence?

Last edited:
How much water we talking?
Put your fingers behind drywall and feel it if your fingers come back black then need to replace that section.

Not much

I drilled the holes within 24 hr of the leak

I drilled two holes in the top part of the cells and two on the bottom with one in the middle of the sheetrock. The sheetrock was wet did not put out dust when drilled the backing of the insulation was damp but when I pushed my finger through the backing the fiberglass felt dry.

Your plan would be good on a wall without insulation. The backing on the insulation will protect it from water but you will have water trapped between that and the drywall.
Cut another hole a foot below the other big enough so you can shove your hand between insulation and drywall and check for moisture.

I also placed two tubes from fans into the holes. The fans are made to vent small areas I can feel the air from the fans coming out of the hole I cut in the middle and bottom of the wall

Latest posts

Back