windows or siding first?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxpatch

Reaction score
I need to replace windows AND replace my existing siding with either hardi plank or vinyl -- not sure which yet.

The window company I've selected only does windows.

Which job should I do first? Does it even matter?

Thanks.

This really depends, with the new modern windows with the frame already attached you in theory could do the windows prior to installing new siding. However, I dislike the pre-framed windows as they tend to let in less light. I would suggest installing the windows and siding at the same time; I'm sure there is "another" company that can provide both services. ;)

Windows must be 1st so you can properly flah the siding to prevent wind blown leaks.

I would put the windows in first and then add the hardi-plank siding

I think windows should go first before the siding... :) It will be much easier to put the windows before you put the siding...;)

can be done either way BUT you would be wise to do windows first! if you go with vinyl siding try and get good windows with a built in "j channel' for a much nicer look, just be careful when installing windows or siding that you do not damage the "j channel".

windows for sure. There was another post recently (here or another forum, i forget) about a guy who did windows in his recently stuccoed house. They couldn't really flash the window correctly without damaging the siding. Windows first.

Latest posts

Back