Garage water leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miserybob

Reaction score
:mad: It used to be that, during a heavy rain, I'd get a little trickle of water under the exterior wall of my flat-roofed, attached, one-car garage/woodworking shop. The last two rains, though (and they have been pretty heavy), I've gotten a steady flow. I've been out there with pumps and shop-vacs trying to save tools and wood.

I'll try to get out and see if a downspout is blocked after the sun comes up... other than that, though, what could be causing this sudden deluge?? I'm sure there are drainage issues... Is there some kind of seam that should be between the concrete sidewalk and the garage wall that has broken down?

I'm not even sure what kind of business to call to have this looked at.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

Thanks for the welcome! I'll take pics after the rain dies down. (attached pics!)

I did get outside, and the downspouts seem ok. The problem looks like there is water pooling on the sidewalk where the leak is. The sidewalk doesn't look like it's graded well and the landscaping on the other side has really grown in the past few years.

There is a strip of metal along the ground under the vinyl siding, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Should it be sealed in some way?

IMG_0033.jpg

Poor, flooded shop...

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Chris, my suggestion would be to pull the bottom course of siding off the wall. This is a somewhat easy thing to do. Separate the siding seam (usually 2-3 lap boards) and pull the nails, then we can see what is suppose to be making a water seal at the sidewalk/wall intersection. I see "J" channel and some sort of flashing that may of had caulk under it/or not.Open up a section and do some exploring. Its easier than it sounds. Go to the vinyl siding store and buy a "zip" tool, this will make separating the seam a lot easier.

EDIT:You should be able to get the bottom peice of siding out of the "J" channel at the bottom without removing any siding. Simply use moderate pressure and dont tear anything up.

Latest posts

Back