Gable Vents; type & material?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2284200

Reaction score
I'm adding a gable vent (non-powered & no fan) on both ends. Roofer recommends something no bigger than 12"x12" in aluminum with critter screen from big box stores. I'm thinking more a rectangle rather than a square. What else to consider...Do they open & close? I would appreciate your thoughts & opinions especially as to type and material. FWIW, this is stucco over concrete block in Dade county, Florida within 1/2 mile of ocean. THANKS!

dsc0317qu.jpg

dsc0318xv.jpg

I went and read your old post again http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f34/how-properly-vent-lower-roofs-15892/

The biggist problem you had with the vents before, as they are now, is the short cercuit. Any air that needs to escape from the upper vents can be short cercuited by air coming in the lower vent on the same side. So closing the two lower vents on the sides would be first on my list. There is a space above the concrete wall on the side we can see, if both are the same the upper vents in the overhang should be enough although they should be closer to the top of the run. Then you want to check the vents across the bottom for enough air flow and maybe add more. I have assumed that you didn't vent across the top of the roof.

Thanks!
Preparing to have rake vents closed off & add the gable vents; it appears too late for ridge across the top of the roof or any other reasonable options.

Well the question is why is there a block wall. It's not there to bear any weight so it has to be for the wind. Any change to that wants an opinion from some one who understands how to do it and not make it useless in the wind.

The other way: from above;
So closing the two lower vents on the sides would be first on my list. There is a space above the concrete wall on the side we can see, if both are the same the upper vents in the overhang should be enough although they should be closer to the top of the run. Then you want to check the vents across the bottom for enough air flow and maybe add more. I have assumed that you didn't vent across the top of the roof.

As you pointed out before there was lots of water leaks above and maybe no amount of venting could have kept the area dry. Givin that you should not a have a roof leak now and you are not worried about ice dams, I would not lose, wind protection for a little more venting. I would just improve the venting that you have.
That would bring it up to code where I am in a wet zone. You may want to take your photos and talk to the inspectors for the city and just get their opinion.

Last edited:
You're correct. From what I'm learning, most single family homes in this area are concrete block... mine is also & yes, we'll have to cut thru the block wall to install the gable vent unless there's another way.

I am saying, do not put in a gable vent...
In this photo we can see light over the block wall, so the attic is not a closed cavity and one vent in each side like you already have will do the job.
If the gap between the wall and the roof sheeting is more than 1 1/2" it will work fine and you haven't weekend the structure.
Try to get gable vent out of your head and go back and read my earlier posts:rolleyes:

soffitslowersouthroof.jpg

Why not vent near the intersecting wall and via the soffits?

That will give you the best circulation and pull.

They make vents for over shingles.

Google DCI products

Latest posts

Back