Getting Ready to Rebuild Our Lanai Roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voyager

Reaction score
OK, We have a catchment system with a 10k gallon tank to supply our domestic water.
I am ready to install a set of filter screens on out roof gutter downspouts to stop leaf litter and other things from going into the tank in order to cut down on the frequency of the need to vacuum the tank, and to keep other contaminants out of it.

We've recently had a 4KW PV system installed.
Plus, I want to pressure wash the entire roof after installing the screens.

So, before installing the downspout screens on the back lanai, I will need to do some repairs to the lanai roof, gutters, and maybe the structure too, the extent of which is yet to be completely assessed.

The lanai was installed by the previous owner.
It was not permitted.
That is not a problem as far as I'm concerned.
I have no intent to apply for a permit to make the repairs to it.
Too many things would have to be changed out, such as nails to replace all the screws holding all the metal tie fittings on, and so on.
All I want to do is repair the problems and do it so that the problems will not reoccur.

So, here are the problems I see right now:
1. a corrugated smoke tinted translucent plastic roofing was used.

A. It must be passing a lot of infrared radiation through it.
When the sun is out, you can feel the heat, very uncomfortably hot in the afternoon.

B. In less than a year we've had a hurricane and a Kona Wind [near hurricane equivalent]. Some minor damage was done to the lanai roofing.

C. Many of the screws attaching the panels are leaking during rains. They are also corroding and pulling loose. Some of the rafters may need to be replaced due to rot from the leaks.

2. the end board installations are of a very poor design. They are rotting.

3. the gutter is pulling loose from the rim board. It needs to be replaced, or at least reinstalled. The rim boards may need replacement. It will at least need replacement on the South end of the roof where it adjoins the rotting end board.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to go about making a more durable repair to the lanai.
The uprights, cross beams and rafters look to be mostly OK. The problems seem to be with what is sitting on top of the structure.
There may be a few small rot areas in the rafters from leaky screws, but should be repairable with an epoxy treatment.

I'm thinking of replacing the roof panels with a more opaque material to cut down on the afternoon heat.

It would be nice to have a little more durability during wind storms.

I'd like to make a better more durable installation to replace the rotting end boards to keep that from happening again.

This is the view from the north end with the spa pergola that is also to be included in the repairs.

The back edge of the lanai roof is 60' long.
It projects 10'-6" from the house's roof.
The house roof projects 3' over the exterior wall.

This is the view from the South end. The board on the end of the roof is the one rotting away. The one on the other end is in beter condition. But, it needs to be redone also.

The Roof from above on the South End.

Lanai North Underside

Last edited:
Back