Installing sprinkler

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to start a project soon :).

Besides turning off the water at the water meter (main line), I have another option to turn off the water at the second shut-off valve located in front of the house (a few inches off the wall). The line then goes into the house under the raised foundation.

Where do I tab the line for my sprinkler? Do I use a "Slip Joint Tee" before the second shutoff valve? If so, do I need another shut-off valve like most sprinklers installation guide suggests?

water_line-1.jpg

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Yes, plan on installing a separate shut off valve for the sprinkler system so you don't have to cut water to the home to affect potential repairs. So it doesn't matter where you tap into the line. Being in CA I assume you won't have to worry about blowing out the lines for the winter to prevent bursting of the lines due to freezing but, I could be wrong. You'll also need some form of backflow prevention, whether that be a vacuum breaker or a backflow preventer. Last week I saw a timer unit w/backflow preventer that you can program several zones to come on/off per your programming. This unit hooks directly to an outdoor faucet and can be disconnected during the winter months.

Thanks for the response. I also talked to my coworker and he suggested that I tab the water after the second shutoff valve but do install an additional shutoff valve for the sprinkler.

I am aware of the backflow. Looking to get something like Anti-Siphon Control Valve.

tony

Your local garden center may have sprinkler design professionals, but most likely you'll need to contact a sprinkler contractor. They'll be able to evaluate your yard and create an appropriate sprinkler design with drainage, yard layout, and other specifics in mind. Most also provide complete sprinkler installation and maintenance, for one-stop lawn watering management.

Thanks for the response. I also talked to my coworker and he suggested that I tab the water after the second shutoff valve but do install an additional shutoff valve for the sprinkler.

I am aware of the backflow. Looking to get something like Anti-Siphon Control Valve.

tony

NO way would I run a line to your sprinkler system with out a valve to be able to shut that line off. What would happen if that line started leaking then you would have to shut off the house as well. Would not do well for marital harmony in my house if I had to shut off the house until I got the leak fixed outside:mad:

Installing lawn sprinkler system is a major task to be sure.For installing lawn sprinkler system, Be sure to note obstructions, potential interferences. Based on the shape of your yard, map out the number of sprinklers you need to get good coverage. The trench for the pipe needs to be 3-4 inches wide and 8-10 inches deep.You will need to shut off the water supply to begin this operation. Flush out any dirt and debris that remains in the piping system to avoid clogged sprinkler heads.A controller allows you to determine the duration of a watering cycle with your system. Be sure your controller is protected from rain and freezing weather. Fill in the trenches with dirt and sod. If there are no leaks or clogs, you are ready to go!

Back