Adding another breaker to small box in poolhouse

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoedy

Reaction score
I need more power running in my girlfriends poolhouse which has a microwave, refrigerator, tv, laptop, blowdryer, ceiling fan and a few lights and I'm attempting to add quite a bit more electronics to.

It currently runs the whole thing on a single 20amp breaker with room for 1 more breaker in the box which I'm assuming is a 30amp box.

I have close to zero experience with electricity and what can/will cause damage and I'm looking for the swiftest and easiest way to increase the amperage in the house.

Can I just simply swap the 20amp breaker for a 30amp or should I put in a pair of 15amp breakers? And if I have to add a breaker how extensive would the rewiring be?

you have to determine how much power the source of this box is rated for.
you have to establish a ground which does not appear in either of your photos.
you have to match the breaker amperage with the size of the wire for the respective circuit; so no, you can not simply start swaping around breakers.
If you have "close to zero experience" you should call an electrician.

Should you decide to go ahead with this upgrade yourself, do turn off the power first. People die every year in this country because they think they can work with hot feeds.

And while I'm certainly no electrician, the connections in your box look to have been done by a rank amateur--way too much bare copper showing (improper insulation removed) at the terminal connections, and of course, no grounds as kok328 pointed out.

First picture has a GREEN wire. What is the GREEN wire connected too?

What is AWG size is on te gray and black wire?

Same thing with the white wire?

Any info on the inside of the box?

The green wire is the ground wire. it appears that it only grounds the box itself. There are no ground wires for the circuit that is leaving the box.s

Latest posts

Back